History & Culture

Español

History Banner

 

The Luquillo Mountains have a long history that involves pre-Columbian cultures, Spanish colonization, gold mining and timber exploitation, the construction of access roads and facilities, and ultimately forest management and research.

Enjoy these priceless and beautiful resources during your visit. Remember that they represent an irreplaceable asset. Please treat them with respect and do not damage them in any way. It is an offense under the federal Criminal Code to unearth, remove, damage, alter or deface any archaeological resource in the forest.

 

Pre-Columbian Era (to 1508)

During this time, El Yunque (Luquillo Mountains) was known as Yuké, or white land, in reference to the cloud covered summits. The forest’s current name, El Yunque (i.e., meaning anvil in Spanish), is a corrupted derivation of the Taino word (Domínguez-Cristóbal 1997a, Moran Arce 1971). Although some may believe that the mountains resemble an anvil, most will agree that the summits are cloud covered much of the time. Also, some say that the word Luquillo is derived from Yukiyú, name of the deity that inhabited the mountains of the Sierra. Others speculate that it might derived from Loquillo (Barnat 1987) name given by the Spaniards to an indigenous chief of the early 1500s noted for his insurgency against them. Loquillo and his followers hid in the forests at the base of the Luquillo Mountains and waged a guerrilla insurrection against the early gold extracting settlements and the encomiendas that enslaved the natives for the extraction of that mineral.

 

Icacos Petroglyph PhotoArchaeological finds confirm the presence of pre-Columbian cultures in Puerto Rico around 3000 B.C.E. or earlier. During the pre-colonial era, the forests on the lower slopes of the Luquillo Mountains provided indigenous cultures with a source of food and materials for the construction of shelters and canoes. However, the impact of these groups on forest resources was minimal. Archaeological discoveries and pre-Columbian names for different sites (e.g., El Cacique, El Yunque, and Cubuy) indicate that native peoples were familiar with the mountains. Early human migrations into the Caribbean were composed of hunter gatherers fishermen that moved around the coastal areas. With subsequent migrations from South America, farming groups with pottery technology settled the coastal and foot hill areas of the islands. Their descendants continued to settle into the mountainous regions a few hundred years before the arrival of the Europeans. Even in these late periods of prehistory we have scant evidence of incursions into the lands of El Yunque National Forest, and no evidence of settlements inside it so far.

 

The importance of the forest might not have been a pragmatic one so much as a symbolic one. Rock art, known as petroglyphs, were left on boulders along the various waterways at El Yunque. That art attest to the spiritual and symbolic meaningfulness of the Luquillo Mountains in prehistory, depicting in many cases scenes related to pre-Columbian spiritual beliefs.  Learn more about El Yunque's Petroglyphs HERE.

 

Spanish Era (1508 to 1898)

Europeans made contact in Puerto Rico during the 1490s and by the early 1500s colonization had begun in the river valleys flowing out of the Luquillo Mountains. At that time, the island’s indigenous peoples were in conflict. Soon, gold was found in the sands of Río Blanco, Río Canóvanas, Río Espíritu Santo, Río Fajardo, Río Grande, Río Mameyes, Río de la Mina, Río Prieto, and Río Sabana. The first discovery was in 1509, and placer mining was underway in the Río Fajardo and Río Blanco by 1513. Mining was the island’s most important economic activity during the early 16th century. The period of greatest mining activity ended around 1530 when the houses of miners were attacked and burned by the rebelling natives. Forced labor, introduced diseases, confrontations, and migrations elsewhere decimated the island’s indigenous population by the mid-1500s. As late as 1582, colonists reported the mountains as unsafe because they were still occupied by hostile native groups.

 

During the 1600s, Puerto Rico remained isolated with only three populated areas and residents lived through contraband. In the 1730s, coffee was introduced and planted on the lower slopes of the Luquillo Mountains. Settlement in eight towns surrounding the Luquillo Mountains took place between 1772 and 1890, with the greatest influx after 1820. In 1815, the Real Cédula de Gracias conceded Crown Lands on the island for agricultural development, stimulating the local economy through new farms and businesses. During the 1830s, some of the lands made available were situated in the Luquillo Mountains. Between the mid-1830s and the mid-1890s, timber was extracted on mass from the lower slopes of the mountains, including the Bisley, Jiménez, and Mameyes watersheds, and exported through the coastal town of Luquillo. Subsistence crops replaced the forest as timber extraction was taking place. Large Haciendas took hold in the forest, including the coffee producing Hacienda Catalina, which covered the area currently occupied by the El Portal Visitor Center. The manual labor for the operation of the Haciendas and hatos located in the Luquillo Mountains, was in great part provided by poor European migrants known as agregados. The agregados were sort of feudal servants that were allowed to inhabit a parcel of a Landlord’s property in exchange for their work in the plantations and haciendas. This led to the development of a parcelero habitation pattern in what would become El Yunque National Forest. Hundreds of families were spread across the land that today we consider a forest reserve. The artifacts they left such as bottles, tools, cart wheels and pots can still be found throughout the forest. 

 

null

As early as 1839, however, the Spanish expressed concern regarding the protection of forests, fish, and wildlife within the mountains. In 1853, two Spanish foresters were sent to survey and manage Crown Lands, including those of the Luquillo Mountains. The 19th century in Puerto Rico was characterized by a rapid increase in population, an increased demand for agricultural land, poor farming practices, and constant political disturbances. On top of that there was a lack of communication between metropolitan centers and the rural population, and a scarcity of personnel and budget for forestry activities—all of which led to the dramatic decline of the island’s forest cover (Domínguez Cristóbal 1989).

 

In 1876, Spanish King Alphonso XII proclaimed forest in the Luquillo Mountains as a reserve of 10,000 hectares (24,710 acres) with soil and water conservation and timber removal regulated and enforced by the Inspección de Montes (Spanish Forest Service), making it today one of the oldest forest reserves in the Western Hemisphere.   In 1885, a forest guard was assigned to patrol the Luquillo Mountains. At that time, transportation problems were a major deterrent to timber exploitation in the remaining forest located in the upper sections of the mountains.

 

The American Era (1898 to Present)

In 1898, the Spanish Crown ceded Puerto Rico to the United States in the Treaty of Paris, putting an end to the Spanish American War. By then, most of the island’s original forests had been cut over. However, the Luquillo Mountains still protected about 16 000 ha of forest and shrub land, including nearly 2300 ha of virgin forest at higher elevations.

 

1939 PR 191 Forest entrance Sep_19Between 1891 and 1897, two acts (i.e., Land Revision Act and Organic Administrative Act) passed by the U.S. Government allowed the President of the United States of America to set aside forest lands.  Using that authority in 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed the 5,116 acre (2,070 hectare) former Crown reserve to be the "Luquillo Forest Reserve"; named after its location in the Luquillo Mountains.. Initially overseen by the U.S. Bureau of Forestry, the reserve was re-named the Luquillo National Forest in 1907 and began to be supervised by the newly organized (1905) U.S. Forest Service, an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Through the years the Luquillo National Forest grew larger due to land grants, donations and purchases of privately owned parcels. In 1935 the forest was renamed the "Caribbean National Forest" and by that time it totaled more than 20.000 acres.

 

From 1903 until 1918, the U.S. Government was not able to dedicate much attention to the newly acquired national forest. Other challenging overseas commitments, including the construction of the Panama Canal (1903-14), negotiations for the purchase of the U.S. Virgin Islands (pre-1917), and World War I (1914-18) assumed center stage. During this period, several activities like placer gold mining, timber extraction, and charcoal production continued in the mountains. In 1905, narrow trails existed to El Yunque, sites across the mountains to the south, and into the Espíritu Santo and Jiménez watersheds. Between 1912 and 1916, the national forest was surveyed, mapped, and the boundaries were marked. Those farming within the boundaries were allowed to continue by permit. These permitees formally known by the agency as Parceleros were allowed to continue inhabiting forest lands in exchange for their services as care takers for trees newly planted in efforts of reforestation. This was one of the first instances in which agroforestry initiatives were formally experimented with by the federal government.

 

Between 1912 and 1926, water was diverted from the forest borders to supply the needs of communities and towns surrounding the Luquillo Mountains. In 1928, construction began on the Rio Blanco Hydroelectric plant with intakes on the Río Cubuy, Río Icacos, Río Prieto, and Río Sabana. During the 1970s, the same system supplied water to the Roosevelt Roads Navy Base near Ceiba and the island of Vieques. In 1950, San Juan began to receive water via the reservoir on the Río Grande de Loíza watershed.

 

null

From 1919 to 1926, about 60 km of horse trails were laid out to patrol forest boundaries. Several construction projects began in the mountains in the 1920s and their development continues to the present, with the major efforts taking place in the 1930s. Between 1926 and 1929, the first section of PR route 191 was built between Palmer and Catalina. Following the onset of the Great Depression and as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt New Deal initiative, in 1933, Congress enacted the Federal Emergency Conservation Program which spawned the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Under the supervision of the Forest Service, CCC recruits from the island began working on projects in the forest such as "Building a road through the cliffs and jungles of the Luquillo Mountains", reforestation, and construction of recreational facilities. Altogether, the CCC program in Puerto Rico employed 2,600 local laborers, many of whom performed work on the island's forests. Many of the forest's roads and facilities that were built during the CCC years (1935-1943) are still very much in use, a lasting tribute to the island's "las tres C's" (CCC) workmen who labored under extremely difficult conditions, using only the tools and equipment they could carry on their backs, to construct trails, roads and facilities in the forest.

 

In the 1940's, during the World War II years, over a quarter of a million board feet of lumber from the forest was sold to local Carboneros to be made into charcoal and sold for use as cooking fuel on the island. Trees to be cut and removed for sale were pre-marked by Forest Service Officers, allowing more promising immature trees to survive for the future. Until the war's end, El Yunque, the second highest peak in the forest was used by the US Army Signal Corps as an early-warning radar site to protect against incursions by German aircraft and submarines.

 

In 1946 the El Yunque National Forest was designated an Insular Wildlife Refuge by the US Department of Agriculture. In 1948 a technical assessment determined that 4 million trees and 22 tons of seeds comprising 34 tree species had been planted in the forest over an 11 year period starting in 1934. At roughly the same time it is proven that over 8, 000 acres have reforested naturally due to the dedicated protection of the land by the Forest Service. By this time the Parcelero initiatives were put to an end after it came forward that the Forest Service lacked the legal authority to exchange services for land occupation. Parceleros started to be resettled outside forest lands throughout the 1940s and 1950s aided by the Operation Bootstrap (Operación Manos a la Obra) initiatives, thus reducing the human footprint in the National Forest.

 

The El Yunque National Forest was additionally designated the "Luquillo Experimental Forest" in 1956 to recognize  the growing importance of the scientific research that was being conducted here. In 1968 formal research efforts to save the endangered Puerto Rican Parrot, whose only remaining natural habitat at that time was the El Yunque National Forest, were begun by scientists from the USDA Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico's Department of Natural and Environmental Resources (DNER) and the World Wildlife Fund.

 

In 1971 the Elfin Woods Warbler  (Dendroica angelae), a previously undiscovered bird species, endemic to Puerto Rico, was discovered to exist at high elevation in the forest. In 1976 the Luquillo Experimental Forest was designated as an important a part of the United Nations International Network of Biosphere Reserves. In 1981 the El Yunque National Forest's Field Office was moved from Sabana to the newly constructed Catalina Work Center located at the entrance to the main entrance to the forest.

 

Reforestation efforts in the previous 50 years by the Forest Service were extremely successful in restoring the rainforest to a semblance of its former splendor. So much so that when it came time to harvest the timber planted by the CCC the local population protested the timber sale.  Perceptions of the forest had shifted from a place of exploitation to that of a natural  reserve significant for Puerto Rico and the world. That triggered a reassessment of the mission of El Yunque and the Yunque Pavilion Dancingdevelopment of a new Forest Management Plan that adjusted to those new perspectives. In 1987 "The Parrots of Luquillo", a 20 year history of parrot research in the Luquillo Forest was published. In 1989 Hurricane Hugo caused major damage to the island of Puerto Rico, and El Yunque National Forest facilities, including the Catalina Work Center and the forest's recreational areas. As a result of the hurricane, the population of the Puerto Rican Parrot dropped to a low of 23 individuals in the wild. The hurricane also destroyed one of the most iconic buildings of the CCC era, El Yunque Restaurant (also known as El Yunque Pavilion). This put an end to one of the most iconic meeting spaces in the history of Puerto Rico. Hurricane recovery efforts also included watershed restoration in over 296 acres of rivers and streams in the forest.

 

Following the trend of decades of tropical forest research initiated by Frank Wadsworth, and in tune with the new sensibilities of rain forest protection of the early 1990s the International Institute of Tropical Forestry was created by the US Secretary of Agriculture in 1992. The Institute was designed to "serve as a gateway for collaborative efforts emphasizing forest research, demonstration forests, technology transfer, training, education, and networking". International forestry is formally recognized as a vital part of the IITF mission.

 

As a response to the public outcry in 1986, in 1997 the Forest Service approved a new El Yunque National Forest/Luquillo Experimental Forest Land and Resource Management Plan.. Among other items, it contained the forest's first Interpretive Plan.

 

In 1998 Hurricane Georges struck the island causing massive devastation, followed by extensive hurricane recovery efforts. During this year the devastating Pink Mealy Bug was first discovered in the forest. The Puerto Rican Department of Agriculture responded promptly with the introduction of a parasitic wasp that virtually destroyed this voracious insect.

 

In 2000 ten Puerto Rican Parrots reared in captivity were released into the wild. This thrilling event was followed by the release of 16 more parrots in 2001, and nine in 2002 and is part of the program to save this highly endangered species.

 

In 2003 the El Yunque National Forest celebrated its Centennial with year-long activities, and the installation of a 60 foot long Centennial timeline covering the years 1903 -2003.  You can view them HERE.

 

2000- Caribbean National Forest starts a collaboration agreement with the Puerto Rico Army National Guard to implement a long term archaeological survey of Camp Santiago Training Center in Salinas. The project also involved reforestation of the military installation, fire management and inventory and monitoring of flora and fauna.

 

2006- The Caribbean National Forest loses the “Seniors” program authority, largely diminishing the amount of employees involved in the maintenance and operations of the forest.

 

2007- The Caribbean National Forest is renamed El Yunque National Forest by executive order of President George Bush. The Fish and Wildlife Service Aviary for the Puerto Rican Parrot Recovery program is relocated from the old Army barracks near Yunque Peak to a new facility built on at a lower elevation on PR 966. The hope is that the lower elevation conditions will increase the recovery rates of the species.

 

2008- The parrot recovery program experiences an increase in the reproduction and survivability rate of the parrots after years of studies and the relocation to a more suitable aviary location.

 

2011- American Reconstruction and Recovery Act is implemented following the Great Recesion of 2008-2009.

 

2012- Work starts in the development of a new Forest Management Plan under the leadership of Pedro Rios as planner.

 

2015- The archaeology and reforestation project at Camp Santiago Training Center comes to an end after 15 years of continuous operation. This makes it the longest running archaeology survey in the history of Puerto Rico with over 3,200 hours of archaeology field work having been completed and hundreds of sites studied. Through the project history over fifty specialists and technicians were involved in its operation, providing a first working experience to a generation of new Puerto Rican archaeologists. Pablo Cruz ends his tenure as Forest Supervisor. He is superseded by a series of temporary acting Forest Supervisors.

 

2016- Sharon Wallace becomes forest supervisor, making her the first female to occupy that position at El Yunque National Forest.

 

2017- Hurricanes Irma and Maria strike the island of Puerto Rico during the month of September, causing severe damage to its infrastructure. Almost all electronic communications island wide were destroyed. The storm also caused an entire collapse of the electric grid, leaving the island without power for months. The forest experiences severe deforestation, landslides, road failures and damage to its infrastructure, including significant damage to El Portal Visitor Center and the Catalina Forest Headquarters building. A large incident command system was established to deal with the hurricane recovery, increasing the amount of personnel with hundreds of temporary workers. Puerto Rican parrot populations in the wild are decimated by the effects of the hurricane.

 

2018- Puerto Rican Parrot reproduction rates doubled in the aviary facilities under the supervision of Fish and Wildlife Service personnel. A temporary visitor center called El Portalito is opened at the town of Palmer. Portalito allows visitors to El Yunque and the community to continue their learning and engagement with the forest. Operations out of the Catalina Service Center are abandoned due to the severe damage and cramped conditions prevailing after the hurricane. They are relocated to temporary spaces at Rio Mar Resort.

 

2019- Forest operations are temporarily relocated to a rented space near the end of Highway 66, establishing a temporary Supervisor Office (SO). The new Forest Management Plan initiated in 2012 is completed and approved. Sharon Wallace ends her tenure as Forest Supervisor. Puerto Rican parrots are released in to the wild for the first time since Hurricane Maria in 2017. Keenan Adams becomes Forest Supervisor, making him the first African-American to occupy that position at El Yunque National Forest.

 

More Information (in english):

 


Recursos Culturales: Bosque Nacional El Yunque

La sierra de Luquillo tiene una larga historia que incluye culturas precolombinas, la colonización española, las minas de oro y la explotación de la madera, la construcción de rutas e instalaciones de acceso, y finalmente la gestión y la investigación de los bosques.

Disfrute estos invaluables y hermosos recursos durante su visita. Recuerde que representan un bien irremplazable; por favor trátelos con respeto y no los dañen. Es una ofensa al código Penal Federal el excavar, remover, dañar, alterar o desfigurar cualquier recurso arqueológico en el bosque.

Video de la Historia y Arqueología del Yunque

Desde nuestro socio Vitrina Solidaria: Raymond Feliciano, director del programa de Patrimonio del Yunque, le presenta un panorama histórico general sobre la historia del bosque, los recursos arqueológicos que alberga y la manera que el Servicio Forestal los maneja. También le enseña hacia dónde se está enfocando el manejo de este patrimonio a partir del 2016 y en luz del nuevo Plan de Manejo del 2019.

 

 

Era Pre Colombina (antes 1508)

Durante este tiempo, El Yunque (las montañas de Sierra de Luquillo) era conocido como Yuké, o tierra blanca, en referencia a las cumbres cubiertas de nubes. El nombre actual del bosque, El Yunque, es una derivación corrupta de la palabra taína (Domínguez-Cristóbal 1997a, Moran Arce 1971). Aunque algunos pueden creer que las montañas se parecen a un yunque, la mayoría estará de acuerdo en que las cumbres están cubiertas por las nubes la mayor parte del tiempo. Además, algunos dicen que la palabra Luquillo se deriva de Yukiyú, nombre de la deidad que habitaba las montañas de la Sierra de Luquillo. Otros especulan que podría derivarse del nombre de Loquillo (Barnat 1987) dado por los españoles a un jefe indígena de principios del siglo XVI, conocido por su insurrección contra ellos. Loquillo y sus seguidores se escondieron en los bosques en la base de las montañas de Luquillo y emprendieron una rebelión guerrillera contra los primeros asentamientos de extracción de oro y las encomiendas que esclavizaron a los nativos para la extracción de ese mineral.

 

Icacos Petroglyph PhotoLos descubrimientos arqueológicos confirman la presencia de culturas precolombinas en Puerto Rico alrededor de año 3000 A.E.C. o incluso antes. Durante la era pre-colonial, los bosques de las pendientes más bajas de la sierra de Luquillo servían como fuente de alimento y materiales para la construcción de refugios y canoas de las culturas indígenas. No obstante, el impacto que generaban esos grupos en el bosque era mínimo. Los descubrimientos arqueológicos  y los nombres precolombinos de diferentes lugares (por ej., El Cacique, El Yunque y Cubuy) indican que los nativos conocían las montañas. Los navegantes aborígenes posiblemente hayan usado como referencia geográfica las cumbres de la sierra de Luquillo, visibles a aproximadamente 100 km en el mar; además, probablemente las cimas hayan sido lo primero que avistaban los españoles cuando se acercaban a la isla desde el sureste. 

 

Las primeras migraciones humanas al Caribe estaban compuestas por cazadores, recolectores, y pescadores que se movían por las zonas costeras. Grupos de agricultores con tecnología de alfarería se asentaron en las zonas costeras y las colinas de las islas durante migraciones posteriores provenientes de América del Sur. Sus descendientes continuaron estableciéndose en las regiones montañosas unos cientos de años antes de la llegada de los europeos. Incluso en estos últimos períodos de la prehistoria, tenemos pocas pruebas de incursiones en las tierras del Bosque Nacional El Yunque, y hasta ahora no hay evidencia de asentamientos en su interior.

 

La importancia del bosque podría no haber sido tanto pragmática como simbólica. Los indígenas dejaron variedad de arte rupestre, conocido como petroglifos, a lo largo de las diversas vías fluviales en El Yunque. Ese arte atestigua el significado espiritual y simbólico de las montañas de Luquillo en la prehistoria, representando en muchos casos escenas relacionadas con creencias espirituales precolombinas. Aprenda más sobre los petroglifos de El Yunque AQUÍ.

 

La Era Española (1508 a 1898)

Los europeos llegaron a Puerto Rico durante la década de 1490; a principios del 1500 ya había comenzado la colonización en los valles de los ríos que brotan de la sierra de Luquillo. En aquel momento, los aborígenes de la isla estaban en conflicto. Poco tiempo después, se encontró oro en las arenas de los ríos Blanco, Canóvanas, Espíritu Santo, Fajardo, Rio Grande, Mameyes, La Mina, Rio Prieto y Sabana. El primer descubrimiento se produjo en 1509, y la minería de sedimento se puso en marcha en el Río Fajardo y el Río Blanco en el año 1513. La minería fue la actividad económica más importante de la isla durante principios del siglo XVI. El período de mayor actividad minera finalizó alrededor del año 1530 cuando los nativos rebeldes atacaron e incendiaron las casas de los mineros. Ya para mediados del 1500 el trabajo forzado, las enfermedades introducidas, las confrontaciones y las migraciones diezmaron la población indígena de la isla. Hasta 1582, los colonizadores reportaban que las montañas no eran seguras porque seguían ocupadas por grupos hostiles nativos.

 

Durante los años 1600, Puerto Rico permaneció aislado con solo tres áreas pobladas y sus residentes vivían grandemente del contrabando. En la década de 1730, se introdujo y se plantó café en las laderas más bajas de la Sierra de Luquillo. Entre los años 1772 y 1890, se produjo el asentamiento de ocho poblados alrededor de la Sierra de Luquillo, con la mayor afluencia después de 1820. En 1815, la Real Cédula de Gracias concedió terrenos de la Corona sobre la isla para el desarrollo agrícola a fin de estimular la economía local a través de nuevas granjas y negocios. Durante la década de 1830, algunos de los terrenos puestos a disposición se ubicaban en la Sierra de Luquillo. Entre mediados de la década de 1830 y mediados de la década de 1890, se talaban ya árboles de las laderas más bajas de las montañas, incluso en las cuencas de Bisley, Jiménez y Mameyes, y se exportaba a través del poblado costero de Luquillo. Los cultivos de subsistencia reemplazaron el bosque a medida que se realizaba la extracción de madera. Las grandes haciendas se apoderaron del bosque, incluida la Hacienda Catalina, una hacienda de café que cubría el área actualmente ocupada por el Centro de Visitantes El Portal. El trabajo manual para la operación de las haciendas y hatos ubicados en las montañas de Luquillo, fue en gran parte proporcionado por inmigrantes europeos pobres conocidos como agregados. Los agregados eran un tipo de sirvientes feudales a los que se les permitía habitar una parcela de la propiedad de un dueño a cambio de su trabajo en las plantaciones y haciendas. Esto llevó al desarrollo de un patrón de habitación parcelero en lo que se convertiría en el Bosque Nacional El Yunque. Cientos de familias se extendieron por la tierra que hoy consideramos una reserva forestal. Los artefactos que dejaron, como botellas, herramientas, ruedas de carro y ollas, todavía se pueden encontrar en todo el bosque.

null

No obstante, desde 1839, los españoles expresaron su preocupación respecto de la protección de los bosques, los peces y la vida silvestre de las montañas. En 1853, se enviaron dos silvicultores españoles a investigar y administrar los terrenos de la Corona, incluidos aquellos en la Sierra de Luquillo. El siglo XIX en Puerto Rico se caracterizó por un rápido incremento de la población, una mayor demanda de tierras agrícolas, prácticas agrícolas deficientes y constantes conflictos políticos. En adición, había una falta de comunicación entre los centros metropolitanos y la población rural, y la escasez de personal y presupuesto para las actividades forestales. Todo esto generó una dramática reducción de la superficie forestal de la isla (Domínguez Cristóbal, 1989).

 

En 1876, El rey Español Alfonso XII proclamó el bosque en la Sierra de Luquillo una reserva de 10,000 hectáreas (24,710 acres), donde la conservación del suelo y del agua, y la extracción de madera eran reguladas y exigidas por la Inspección de Montes, lo que hoy convierte al bosque en una de las reservas forestales más antiguas del hemisferio occidental.

 

Para 1885, se asignó un guardabosque para patrullar la Sierra de Luquillo. En aquel momento, los problemas de transporte eran un factor disuasivo importante para la explotación maderera en el bosque restante ubicado en las secciones superiores de las montañas.

 

La Era Norteamericana (1898 to Presente)

En 1898, la Corona española cedió Puerto Rico a los Estados Unidos mediante el Tratado de París, poniendo fin a la Guerra Hispanoamericana. Para ese entonces, se habían talado la mayoría de los bosques originales de la isla. Sin embargo, la Sierra de Luquillo aún protegía aproximadamente 16,000 hectáreas de bosque y arbustos, incluidas casi 2,300 hectáreas de bosque virgen a mayor altitud.

 

1939 PR 191 Forest entrance Sep_19Entre 1891 y 1897, el gobierno de los Estados Unidos aprobó dos leyes (la Ley de Revisión de Tierras y la Ley Administrativa Orgánica) que le permitieron al Presidente de los Estados Unidos reservar terrenos de bosques. Usando esa autoridad en 1903, el presidente Teodoro Roosevelt designó las 5,275 cuerdas (2,070 hectáreas) de la antigua reserva de la Corona Española como la "Reserva del Bosque de Luquillo”. Al principio fue custodiada por el Negociado de Bosques de EE.UU. y en 1907 se denominó el Bosque Nacional de Luquillo. Pasó a ser supervisado por el recién organizado Servicio Forestal federal, agencia del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE.UU. Con el transcurso de los años, el Bosque Nacional de Luquillo creció debido a las cesiones, donaciones y compra de parcelas que estaban en manos particulares. En 1935 se cambió el nombre del bosque a "Bosque Nacional del Caribe". En ese momento ya tenía más de 20,500 cuerdas o 8,700 hectáreas.

 

Desde 1903 hasta 1918, el gobierno de los Estados Unidos no pudo prestarle demasiada atención al recientemente adquirido bosque nacional. Otros difíciles compromisos internacionales, entre ellos, la construcción del Canal de Panamá (1903- 1914), las negociaciones de la compra de las Islas Vírgenes de los Estados Unidos (antes de 1917) y la Primera Guerra Mundial (1914-1918), tenían todo el protagonismo. Durante este período, continuaron desarrollándose en las sierras varias actividades, como la minería de oro, la extracción de madera y la producción de carbón. En 1905, existían senderos angostos que se dirigían hacia El Yunque, sitios a través de las montañas al sur y dentro de las cuencas Espíritu Santo y Jiménez.  Entre 1912 y 1916, se hicieron sondeos y mapas del bosque nacional, y se marcaron los límites. Aquellos que practicaban la agricultura dentro de los límites fueron autorizados a continuar haciéndolo mediante un permiso.  Estos agricultores, formalmente conocidos por la agencia como Parceleros, pudieron continuar habitando tierras forestales a cambio de sus servicios como cuidadores de árboles recién plantados en un esfuerzo de reforestación. Este fue uno de los primeros casos en los que el gobierno federal experimentó formalmente las iniciativas agroforestales.

 

Entre 1912 y 1926, el agua se desvió desde los límites del bosque para satisfacer las necesidades de las comunidades y los poblados alrededor de la Sierra de Luquillo. En 1928, comenzó la construcción de la planta hidroeléctrica Río Blanco con tomas en los ríos Cubuy, Icacos, Prieto y Sabana. Durante la década de 1970, el mismo sistema suministró agua a la Estación Naval Roosevelt Roads cerca de Ceiba y la isla de Vieques. En 1950, San Juan comenzó a recibir agua a través de la reserva en la cuenca de Río Grande de Loíza. Hoy, se planifican dos nuevas reservas: una en Río Blanco al sur del bosque y otra cerca de la población de Juncos.

null

Desde 1919 a 1926, hubo aproximadamente 60 km de caminos para caballos usados para patrullar los límites del bosque. Varios proyectos de construcción comenzaron en la sierra en la década de 1920, y su desarrollo continúa aún hoy, con los principales esfuerzos realizados en la década de 1930. Entre 1926 y 1929, se construyó la primera parte de la ruta PR 191 entre Palmer y Catalina.  Tras el inicio de la Gran Depresión y como parte de la iniciativa del “Nuevo Trato” del Presidente Franklin D. Roosevelt, en 1933 el Congreso implantó el Programa Federal de Conservación de Emergencia, el cual generó el Cuerpo Civil de Conservación (CCC o “las tres C”). Bajo la supervisión del Servicio Forestal, los hombres reclutados por el CCC comenzaron a trabajar en los proyectos del bosque como la construcción de una carretera que atravesaba el bosque, la reforestación, y la construcción de instalaciones recreativas. En total, el programa del CCC en Puerto Rico empleó a 2,600 trabajadores, muchos de los cuales trabajaron en los bosques de la Isla. Muchas de las carreteras e instalaciones que se construyeron durante los años del CCC (1935-1943) siguen usándose y representan un tributo a los trabajadores de " las Tres C" que laboraron en condiciones muy difíciles, usando solo las herramientas y equipo que podían cargar en la espalda para construir las veredas, las carreteras, y las facilidades en el bosque.

 

En la década del 1940, durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, más de 250,000 pies tablados (76,200 metros) de madera se vendieron a los carboneros locales para convertirla en el carbón que se vendía como combustible para las cocinas de la isla. Los funcionarios del Servicio Forestal marcaban los árboles que se cortaban y sacaban a la venta, lo cual permitía que los árboles prometedores, aún inmaduros, sobrevivieran. Hasta fines de la Segunda Guerra el Pico de El Yunque, segundo pico más alto del bosque, fue usado por el Cuerpo de Señales del Ejército como instalación de radares para la protección en contra de las incursiones de los aviones y submarinos alemanes.

 

En 1946 el Departamento de Agricultura federal designó al Bosque Nacional El Yunque como Refugio Insular de Vida Silvestre. En 1948, en una evaluación técnica, se determinó que unos 4 millones de árboles y 22 toneladas de semillas con 34 especies de árboles se habían sembrado en el bosque en el periodo de 11 años que comenzó en 1934. Para esa época, también se comprobó que se habían reforestado más de 8,240 cuerdas (20,940 hectáreas) debido a la protección dedicada de la zona por el Servicio Forestal. En este momento, las iniciativas de Parcelero finalizaron luego de que el Servicio Forestal careciera de la autoridad legal para intercambiar servicios por la ocupación de la tierra. Los Parceleros comenzaron a relocalizarse afuera de las tierras forestales a lo largo de las décadas de 1940 y 1950, con la ayuda de las iniciativas de la Operación Manos a la Obra, reduciendo así la huella humana en el Bosque Nacional.

 

En 1956 El Bosque Nacional El Yunque se designó también como Bosque Experimental de Luquillo en reconocimiento a la creciente importancia de la investigación científica que se realizaba ahí. En 1968, científicos del Servicio Forestal y del Servicio de Pesca y Vida Silvestre federal, del Departamento de Recursos Naturales y Ambientales del Gobierno de Puerto Rico (DRNA) y del Fondo Mundial de Vida Silvestre (WWW, por sus siglas en inglés) emprendieron esfuerzos formales de investigación para salvar a la Cotorra Puertorriqueña, en peligro de extinción, cuyo único hábitat natural en aquel momento era el Bosque Nacional El Yunque.

 

En 1971, en las alturas del bosque, se descubrió la Reinita del Bosque Enano (Dendroica angelae), un especie de ave desconocida, endémica a Puerto Rico. En 1976 se designó al Bosque Experimental de Luquillo como parte importante de la Red de Reservas de la Biosfera de las Naciones Unidas. En 1981 se mudó la Oficina de Campo del Bosque Nacional El Yunque desde Sabana al recién construido Centro de Trabajo de Catalina ubicado a la entrada principal del bosque.

 

Los esfuerzos de reforestación en los últimos 50 años por parte del Servicio Forestal fueron extremadamente exitosos en restaurar el bosque lluvioso a la apariencia de su antiguo esplendor. Tanto es así que cuando llegó el momento de cosechar la madera plantada por el CCC, la población local protestó por la venta de madera, ya que las percepciones del bosque habían cambiado al de una reserva natural importante para Puerto Rico y el mundo. Eso provocó una reevaluación de la misión de El Yunque y el desarrollo de un nuevo Plan de Manejo Forestal que se ajustó a esas nuevas perspectivas.  En 1987 se publicó en Yunque Pavilion Dancinginglés "The Parrots of Luquillo", la historia de 20 años de investigación sobre las cotorras en el Bosque de Luquillo. En 1989 el Huracán Hugo causó daños importantes en la isla de Puerto Rico y las instalaciones del Bosque Nacional El Yunque, incluidos el Centro de Trabajo de Catalina y las áreas recreativas del bosque. Como resultado del huracán la población de la Cotorra Puertorriqueña se reduce a 23 individuos silvestres.  El huracán también destruyó uno de los edificios más emblemáticos de la era CCC, El Restaurante del Yunque (también conocido como El Pabellón del Yunque). Esto puso fin a uno de los espacios de reuniones más emblemáticos de la historia de Puerto Rico. Los esfuerzos de recuperación del huracán incluyeron trabajos de restauración de las cuencas en más de 306 cuerdas de ríos y quebradas en el bosque.

 

Siguiendo la tendencia de décadas de investigación de bosques tropicales iniciada por Frank Wadsworth, y en sintonía con las nuevas sensibilidades de protección de bosques tropicales de principios de la década de 1990, el Secretario de Agricultura de los EE.UU. creó el Instituto Internacional de Dasonomía Tropical (IITF) en 1992. El Instituto tiene como propósito "servir de portal para los esfuerzos colaborativos con énfasis en la investigación forestal, la creación de bosques experimentales, la transferencia de tecnología, el adiestramiento, la educación y la comunicación entre profesionales del campo, estrechando los lazos entre ellos". La promoción forestal a nivel internacional se reconoce formalmente como una parte central de la misión del IITF.

 

Como respuesta a la protesta pública en 1986, en 1997 el Servicio Forestal aprobó el Plan de Manejo de Terrenos y Recursos del Bosque Nacional El Yunque/Bosque Experimental de Luquillo. Entre otros asuntos contiene el primer Plan Interpretativo del Bosque.  En 1998, el huracán Georges azotó a la Isla, causando gran devastación, seguido de grandes esfuerzos de recuperación. Durante este año se descubre por primera vez en el bosque la presencia de la devastadora cochinilla rosada. El Departamento de Agricultura respondió sin demora, introduciendo una avispa parasítica que destruyó este voraz insecto.

 

En el 2000 se liberaron diez Cotorras Puertorriqueñas criadas en cautiverio. A este emocionante evento le sigue la liberación de 16 cotorras adicionales en 2001 y nueve en 2002, parte de un programa para salvar esta especie en peligro de extinción. En 2003 el Bosque Nacional El Yunque celebró su Centenario con actividades durante todo el año y la instalación de una exhibición de un cronograma de 20 metros de largo en el Centro de Visitantes de El Portal.

 

Recursos adicionales (en español):

Spotlights

El Yunque’s Historic Properties

Icon Historic Properties

Propiedades históricas de El Yunque

What are Petroglyphs?

Icon Petroglyphs

¿Qué son los petroglifos?

 




Road 186 “El Toro Scenic Byway”: A Window into History….

186 History Spot

Carr. 186 “La Ruta Escénica Pico del Toro”: Una ventana a la historia

Centennial Timeline 1903-2003

Icon Timeline

Cronología del Centenario 1903-2003




https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/elyunque/learning/history-culture