Passes & Permits

  • National Recreation Passes

    National passes

    The Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

  • Forest Product Permits

    Forest product permits

    Special forest products encompass a variety of products, ranging from firewood to edible delights. The availability of special forest products varies by location.

  • Special Use Permits

    Commercial filming

    Certain activities on public lands require "special use authorization." These include commercial activities, such as filming, guiding, and events.

  • Campfire Permits


    Campfire permits are required for campfires, charcoal fires, and portable gas stoves outside designated recreation sites. Permits are free and available at all Forest Service, BLM, and CAL FIRE offices, as well as online at

  • Firewood Permits

    Stack of firewood

    To cut firewood for personal use on the forest, you must have a personal use firewood permit. Permits are free for 2022. Permits can be requested in person at the Upper Lake office (check the office schedule before you visit) or by mail using the mail-in form.

  • Christmas Tree Permits

    Christmas tree in the snow

    Christmas tree cutting in the Mendocino National Forest is managed as a recreational experience. It is a chance to take the family out into the woods and cut a tree the old-fashioned way.