Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Graphic: Annual PassSome national forest developed recreation sites in Oregon and Washington require a day use fee. Recreation passes are honored in lieu of day use fee payment. Currently there are no recreation day-use fee sites at Ochoco National Forest or Crooked River National Grassland.

Deschutes National Forest, recreation fee sites require a pass from May 1st to September 30th every year. 

Forest Products Permits

Stacked and cut wood.Special Forest Products are forest resources not associated with traditional timber products but are used for personal, commercial, and scientific purposes.

Examples include firewood, Christmas trees, transplants, cones, posts and poles, tree boughs, mushrooms, and ornamental cuttings. Christmas Tree Permits can now be purchased at

Event/Commercial Permits

A group of people riding bikes through the forest on a road.A special use permit is required when you ask for special privileges on National Forest land. Examples include gatherings of 75 people or more, operating a business, using the Forest for financial gain, and commercial filming. 


Other Permits

A field of rocks.This section includes information on permits for other uses such as electrical easements, minerals, etc. 



Please contact the appropriate Forest Service office for information about any permits not listed here.