Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.


Recreation Passes & Permits

Beartooth Butte and Lake in the Shoshone National Forest, located in northwest Wyoming along the east boundary of Yellowstone National ParkNational recreation passes cover entrance fees found at federal recreation areas such as national parks and US Fish & Wildlife Service national wildlife refuges. They also cover the use of facilities and services at many day-use sites on US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands. There are several pass options to consider. 

Available Passes

4th Grade pass

4th Grade Interagency Pass

Free for current 4th grade students  

Graphic: Annual pass

Interagency Annual Pass ($80) -  For anyone to purchase, valid for 12 months. 

Graphic: Senior Pass

Interagency Senior Lifetime Pass ($80)  -  For those age 62 or older. Valid for the lifetime of the passholder.

Graphic: Access Pass

Interagency Access Pass (Free)  -  For those with a permanent disability.


Annual Military Pass (Free) - Available for active military personel, or their dependents. Valid for 12 months.


Why are Recreation Fees Charged?

More and more people recreate in national forests and grasslands every year. Meeting the increasing needs of these visitors, delivering quality recreation, heritage and wilderness opportunities, and protecting natural resources has become challenging.

To help address this issue, President Bush signed the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA) in December, 2004. The Act permits federal land management agencies to continue charging modest fees at campgrounds, rental cabins, high-impact recreation areas and at day-use sites that have certain facilities. 100% of the revenue generated by these fees is retained by the national forests and grasslands to help fund the operation, maintenance, and enhancement of recreation facilities, visitor services, and the protection, and rehabilitation of natural resources.

How Do I Decide?

To help you choose a pass, think about how often and where you go for your recreation activities. If you plan to recreate in many different spots across the nation, an Interagency Annual Pass may be your best value. You may also qualify for one of the Interagency Lifetime Passes (Interagency Senior or Access Pass).

Interagency Passes are honored at Forest Service sites charging fees for use of many developed day-use recreation sites; which may include picnic sites, low developed boat ramps, and trailheads. Interagency Passes may also provide discounts for camping at campgrounds operated by the US Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management and/or concessionaires.

Interagency Recreation Pass Frequently Asked Questions.