Passes & Permits

Most national forest system lands are open, free of charge for your use and enjoyment. User fees that help pay for facilities and services may be charged at some sites. Several types of passes and permits exist for sites that require fees. Special use permits are also available for specific purposes involving use and/or occupancy of National Forest System lands.

Recreation Passes

Group roasting marshmallows on a fire.

Federal recreation passes cover many National Forest standard amenity fees, and offer discounts on many extended amenity fees. Recreation passes and permits help fund site maintenance and improvements.

Forest Product Permits

Oyster mushrooms growing on a log.

A forest produces a variety of products which people can harvest, collect, and use for a variety of things. Depending on the forest product, and its use - gathering these items may require a permit.

Special Use Permits

Film crew recording in the forest.

A special-use authorization is a legal document such as a permit, term permit, lease, or easement, allowing occupancy, use, rights, or privileges of agency land.