Passes & Permits

  • National Recreation Passes

    A placeholder image

    National passes cover entrance fees found a federal recreation areas such as National Parks and wildlife refuges. They also cover the use of facilities and services at many day use sites on Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management lands. There are several pass options to consider. To make the best choice on which pass to purchase, you should think about your recreation plans for the next year.

  • Forest Product Permits

    Stacked Wood

    Information for Firewood Cutting permits. Permits are needed when firewood will be cut and taken off the forest. Wood collected for campfires while camping on the forest do not need a permit. Firewood can not be cut, collected, and transported off the forest without a permit.

  • Special Use Permits

    A placeholder image

    Special Use Permits grant certain rights or privileges to occupy and use a specific area. These permits contain specific terms and conditions that the permit holder must follow. They are issued to profit and non-profit organizations and include activities such as: Group activities that have 75 or more people, Outfitting and Guiding, Weddings, Commercial Photography and Bicycle Races.

  • Free Campfire Permits

    A placeholder image

    Campfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside of designated recreation sites. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online (printer required). Remember to check for fire restrictions before you go!

  • River Use Permits

    A placeholder image

    On the Upper and Lower Kern Runs, the Sequoia National Forest provides an annual permit which is free of charge. Boaters need to pick up these permits in person at a Forest Service office in Kernville, Lake Isabella.

  • Wilderness Permits

    A placeholder image

    Wilderness permits are required only for overnight stay in the Golden Trout Wilderness on the Sequoia National Forest. Permits help the Forest Service to manage wilderness by tracking visitor use patterns.

Related Links