Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Annual Passes 2017The Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

Forest Product Permits

Forest productsCollecting and removing forest products requires a permit. Forest products include items such as, firewood, edible material, decorative material, minerals, plants, and other woody material.

Special Use Permits

Special Use PermitsCertain types of uses of public lands require "Special Use Authorizations." These include commercial activities, such as filming, guiding, and events.

Campfire Permits

CampfireA campfire permit is required for campfire use, except when camping in a developed campground.

Wilderness Permits

fuelwood permitEmigrant, Carson-Iceberg, and Mokelumne Wildernesses are three areas of public land designated by Congress to be as free as possible from the impacts of human use. Travel is by foot or horseback. Motorized or mechanized vehicles are not permitted in these areas. Click here to read instructions and apply for a wilderness permit.

Whitewater Rafting Permits

christmas tree permitAll floaters (kayakers and rafters) are required to have a permit between May 1 and October 15. Permits are free and must be picked up at the Groveland Ranger Station.


Christmas Permits:

Please be advised that cutting a Christmas tree in the Stanislaus National Forest is prohibited and permits are not available for this use. There are several Christmas Tree Farms in the area and several National Forest in California that do sell permits. The following forests provide permits:


Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2020 dates are: