Black Butte Trailhead
From Cave Junction, OR, at Wild Rivers Ranger Station on Highway 199, go south on Highway 199. After the bridge crossing turn left on Rocky Dale Road and travel about 6 miles till Waldo Road and turn left. Go 0.8 mile to four corners and turn right on Takilma Road (County Road #5820). Travel 3.5 miles to where the road forks, and take the left fork Forest Road 4904. Follow Forest Road 4904 for 1 mile and turn right on Forest Road 4906. Cross Bridge and after 5 miles turn right on Forest Road 053 and follow for 3.5 miles. Trailhead is on the right.
Map showing recreational areas. Map Information
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective 9/20: Wild and Scenic Lower Rogue River Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
- Illinois River Swinging Bridge Closure
- Butte Fork Trail Bridge in Red Buttes Wilderness Closed Through July 2023
- Effective 7/27: Forest-Wide Stage 1 Fire Restrictions
- Understanding Parking and Fire Restrictions on the Illinois River
- Bear-Human Interactions on the Rise!