Choose from the following to find a site:
Rivers, streams, creeks, lakes, and ponds provide many opportunities for all kinds of water activities. From the sound of a babbling mountain stream to the quiet plop of a bobber hitting the water to running down the swimming beach into a mountain lake, being near, on, or in the water is always great fun.
White Water Rafting, Canoeing, and Kayaking Opportunities
Many people lack the equipment or skill needed to run the Chattooga River safely. Three companies are commercially licensed to operate on the Chattooga by the U.S. Forest Service.
These companies run scheduled trips using 4-6 person rubber rafts. They furnish guides, all equipment, transportation, and lunch for trips taking most of a day. Raft trip prices start around $40 and go to about $85, depending on the river section and the day of the week. Weekend reservations fill quickly so advance planning is necessary to book a trip.
Nantahala Outdoor Center
13077 US Hwy. 19 West
Bryson City North Carolina 28713-3114
(800) 237-7238 or (703) 488-6900
Fax: (704) 488-2498
50 Executive Park South
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
(800) 868-7238 or (404) 329-0433
Fax: (404) 634-4946
PO Box 309
Long Creek, South Carolina 29658
(800) 451-9972 or (864) 647-9587
Fax: (864) 647-5361
Individuals interested in boating the river on non-commercial trips or who want other information should contact:
USDA Forest Service
Andrew Pickens Ranger District
112 Andrew Pickens Circle
Mountain Rest, South Carolina 29664
Telephone: (864) 638-9568
Fax: (864) 638-2659
Hours: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.– 12 p.m.
& 12:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
A map of the river with conditions of use, printed on waterproof paper, is available at several of our Forest Service office in northeast Georgia and western South Carolina, or you can order online.
All commercial trips on the river must be under a Special Use Permit issued by the U.S. Forest Service office at Mountain Rest.
Get more details about the Chattooga River from the Francis Marion & Sumter National Forests web site.
Alerts & Warnings
- #BurnAlerts - Prescribed Fire on Chattooga River Ranger District - Slick Shoals
- #BurnAlerts - Prescribed Fire on Blue Ridge Ranger District - Rock Creek
- #BurnAlerts for Prescribed Fires
- Lake Conasauga Reservation Only
- Recreation passes available online, by phone and in-person
- Rock Creek Road (FSR 69) Closed Past Frank Gross Recreation Area
- Road Closures on the Chattooga River Ranger District
- Coleman River Rd (FSR #54) Closure
- CAUTION Waterfall Dangers
- CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL - ATV and OHV
- Panther Creek Trail Temporary Hiker Restrictions
- Don't Move Firewood!