Choose from the following to find a site:
The San Juan National Forest offers numerous fishing opportunities where many different species of trout can be found. Secluded mountain lakes and streams await anglers. Whereas the National Forest managed the land, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife manages the species.
Interested in a tour? Fly fishing lessons? Check out our list of current, permitted Outfitters and Guides.
Know Before You Go
- Visit Colorado Parks and Wildlife for the following information:
- Fishing License: Purchase or find a license agent near you.
- Fishing reports, conditions and guidance
- Fishing Regulations including boat inspections
- Information on invasive species
- Colorado Fishing Atlas: Interactive mapping tool offered by Colorado Parks and Wildlife to search for fishing opportunities by species, specific interest or proximity to your home or destination.
- Colorado Fishing Guide: Download the most current issue.
- For additional questions, contact the local Colorado Parks and Wildlife at 970-247-0855.
Native Cutthroat Trout: This represents an exciting conservation success story. Our conservation efforts will now focus on replicating these populations and securing them from invasion by nonnative trout so that future generations can enjoy this rare piece of Colorado’s legacy.