Camping & Cabins
Choose from the following to find a site:
To all Shasta-Trinity National Forest visitors
We continue to recommend that you recreate locally. Also all visitors should practice self-sufficiency during your visit to the area. Responsible recreation practices should be maintained at all times, including:
• Maintaining at least six feet distancing from others
• Do not gather in groups and please follow the latest guidance from officials
• Pack out your trash and leave with everything you bring in and use.
• All services may not be available, so please plan accordingly.
Camping is not limited to developed camping. Almost all of the forest is open to those who prefer the quiet solitude of a completely undeveloped setting.
Please check for fire restrictions before you go. Campfire permits are required to have a campfire or stove at a dispersed site. Campfire permits are available online at www.readyforwildfire.org/permits/campfire-permit/
At Shasta and Trinity Lakes visitors can camp along the shore. Some areas are restricted such as a bald eagle nesting sites, but even so there are several hundred miles where shoreline camping is permitted.
Dispersed camping is not permitted on Lewiston Lake. Another exception is the Mt. Shasta plantations area.
Please call ahead to offices for current fire restriction and road information.
Potable water, toilets, and other amenities are not available. Be sure to bring adequate water or be prepared to purify natural water sources before drinking. Camp at least 200 feet from springs, water, meadows, trails and roads and at least a quarter-mile from designated campgrounds, picnic areas, trailheads, private property and state highways.
If you brought it in with you, then remember to take it out when you leave (Pack It In/Pack It Out). More info about dispersed camping.
- Big Bar Campgrounds
- Campground Host Program
- Commercial Services Weaverville & Trinity Lake
- Commercial Services at Shasta Lake
- Group Campgrounds Trinity Lake area
- Guide to I-5 Campgrounds
- Iron Canyon Reservoir
- McCloud Area Recreation Guide
- Recreation Facilities Guide Entire forest updated 6/2019
- Recreation Facilities Guide Hayfork area
- Recreation Opportunities Mt. Shasta area
- Shasta Lake Camping
- Trinity Unit Camping