What major products and services does the Forest Service purchase from vendors and contractors?

  • Natural resource services and conservation service
  • Construction of structures and facilities
  • Maintenance, repair or alteration of real property (incl. restoration of roads and bridges)
  • Lease or rental of facilities
  • Janitorial services
  • Transportation and charter services
  • Professional, management and administrative support services
  • Lease or rental of equipment
  • Special studies and analyses
  • A&E services
  • Fire and aviation support services and equipment
  • Information technology

Getting ready to do business with the Forest Service…

1. Obtain a DUNS number

The Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number is a unique nine-character identifier.  To request a DUNS number call D&B at the toll free number 1-866-705-5711 or register online at

2. Register with 'System for Award Management'

You must be registered in the System for Award Management (SAM) to be awarded a government contract. Vendors must renew/update their data annually to keep their SAM registration active. Detailed information about SAM is available at

Finding Contracting Opportunities

Once SAM registration has been completed, vendors may use two websites to help them locate contracting opportunities with the USDA Forest Service. The first site is called FedBizOpps and can be found at This site is used Federal Government-wide for any projects being solicited that are expected to exceed $25,000. Vendors should click on “Find Opportunities” and then, on the next screen, select the “Advanced Search” tab. To find projects on Northern California Forests, a vendor must scroll down the page and then select “Specific Agency/Office/Locations.” In the field with the magnifying glass, type “Department of Agriculture.” In the dropdown menu that appears, select “Department of Agriculture/Forest Service.” Once it is selected, click on “Show/Update Office Locations For Selected Agencies." In the Office Location field, scroll down to Forest Service/R-5 Northern California Acq Service Area.

The other site is operated by the Regional Office of the Forest Service located in Vallejo, CA. This site is specific to Region 5 (State of California) and shows only those projects being solicited by the Forest Service in that Region for the current fiscal year. The value of going to this website is that it will also show opportunities that are not expected to exceed $25,000 and, thus, will not be posted to FedBizOpps. The website address is Under Advanced Acquisition Plan, click on Northern California Province. In the “by unit” drop down menu, select the desired forest then click the “submit” button to the right.  Any upcoming opportunities will be listed. The office may be contacted to receive more information about a specific project.

Other Vendor Resources

There are many websites and resources to assist businesses in understanding doing business with the Federal government. There are many unique aspects such as the Federal Acquisition Regulations that govern how the Federal government issues solicitations for work and writes the contracts that result from the solicitations. The resources that can help in understanding doing business with the Federal government include –

Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) – Located in every state PTAC’s assist businesses in understanding how to prepare bids and proposals on Federal government contracts. To locate the appropriate state PTAC go and under “Government Contracting Assistance” use the link to “Find a PTAC.”

Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) – Organized in association with the Small Business Administration, the SBDC’s provide general assistance on business structure, and how to obtain business loans and surety bonding. Some assistance is provided regarding Federal government contracting too. Find the nearest SBDC by visiting

Small Business Administration (SBA) – The SBA is the Federal Agency tasked with assisting small businesses to be successful. SBA’s general website is available as There is also an SBA website that deals specifically with Doing Business With the Federal Government found at

Incident Procurement Information

Information on Incident Procurement for Region 5 can be found at:

Please Note! Training is Required: Vendors (engines, water tenders, fallers, mechanics, pick-ups w/driver, crew busses, dozers, and excavators) seeking work during fire incidents must complete 8 hours fire refresher and fire shelter training annually. Upon completion, each individual will receive proof of their training. This is only good for the individual who actually took the training. Proof of completed training must be carried by each operator while under hire. Information on Region 5 Incident Procurement including the times, dates, and provider of this training will be posted at the above website.

American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)

For more information on the Pacific Southwest Regions involvement in ARRA program, please visit the following website:

Contact Us

NCASA – Redding Office (530)226-2500
3644 Avtech Parkway
Redding, CA 96002

NCASA – Susanville Office (530)257-2151
2550 Riverside Drive
Susanville, CA 96130

(updated: October 18, 2012)