Passes & Permits

  • America the Beautiful Passes

    This is an image of of the 2022 Interagency Annual Passes and shows a recreational vehicle under a night sky

    The America the Beautiful Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

    What is a standard amenity fee?

    Examples: Picnic areas, developed trailheads, destination visitor centers

    Explanation: Typically, standard amenity fees are day-use fees, often covered by a day or annual pass. Each site or area must contain six "amenities," which are picnic tables, trash receptacle, toilet, parking, interpretive signing (information that discusses the natural processes, history of the area, how we can help protect the forest or ourselves, etc.), and security (routine visits from Forest Service or local law enforcement staff monitoring the area).

  • Adventure Passes

    Adventure Passes

    If you live in Southern California, you're just a short drive away from a spectacular wildland adventure. 

    To visit some areas of the Angeles National Forest, you will need an Adventure Pass or America the Beautiful Pass. 

  • Wilderness Permits

    A young boy hikes along the Pacific Crest Trail

    Wild areas and even Congressionally-designated wilderness can be found within an hour's drive of downtown Los Angeles. These are areas set aside by Congress, where people can experience the solitude of some of the nation's most beautiful places in the United States.

  • Forest Product Permits

    A stack of cut firewood.

    Collecting products on National Forest System lands for commercial and private use requires a forest product permit. Commonly requested permits are for mushrooms, posts, poles, rails, and pine cones.

  • Special Use Permits

    Film crew filming in a forested area.

    Certain types of uses of public lands require special use permits. These include commercial activities, such as filming, guided hikes and programs, and events.

  • Campfire Permits

    An image of a campfire in a steel ring.

    Campfire permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires, or portable gas stoves outside of designated recreation sites. Campground permits are free and available at all Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, or CAL FIRE offices OR online (printer required). Remember to check for fire restrictions before you go!

Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency on fee-free days. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2023 fee-free days are:

  • January 16, 2023: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
  • February 20, 2023: President's Day
  • June 10, 2023: National Get Outdoors Day
  • June 19, 2023: Juneteenth
  • September 23, 2023: National Public Lands Day
  • November 11, 2023: Veterans Day