Passes & Permits


The Caribou-Targhee National Forest manages resources to meet sustainable resource management objectives.  Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the Forest land and resource management plans outlined in the Forest Plan.  In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land.  Additionally, passes assist in funding certain management projects.

Before you plan an activity on the Forest, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass.   Passes are available at all Caribou-Targhee National Forest Ranger District Offices and the East Idaho Vistor Center.

As managers of the National Forest, we welcome the opportunity to provide permits for public use.  Available permits are firewood, Christmas trees, wilderness, and special use authorization.   


Local Passes and Permits related to recreating on the forest.

Forest Products:

Edible material, Decorative material, Minerals, Plants, Woody material (includes Christmas Tree and Firewood permit information).

Events and Commercial Permits:

Filming, Group use, and Outfitter guide information.


Permits for other items such as electrical easements, etc.  Please contact the appropriate Ranger District Office for information on other permits not listed.