Passes & Permits

Many activities on National Forest System lands are free, however a few activities do require a pass or a permit.  Dollars collected for passes and permits help to further maintain, manage and improve recreational amenities on the Custer Gallatin National Forest and within the Northern Region.

Federal Interagency Recreation Passes 


Recreational Residences

Recreation residences are privately-owned cabins on National Forest land, authorized by special use permits.  These cabins are not available for public use.  For more information, call (406) 587-6701 for Recreation Residence Program Manager. 


Visiting another National Forest in the nation?  National Recreational Fees & Passes, navigate to region. 


Forest Products

close-up cord of firewood

Learn more about personal use firewood permits, post and pole permits, rock and petrified wood collection permits and Holiday tree permits. 

Permits for Events, Commercial Uses and Special Uses

A special use permit is required for any commercial activity, defined as any use or activity on National Forest System Lands where purpose is sale of good/service or entry fee is charged.