Passes & Permits

  • Recreation Passes

    A placeholder image

    In Washington and Oregon some national forest recreation sites require a day use permit. The fees paid for the permits are used to maintain visitor services as well as fund improvements to sites.

  • Forest Products Permits

    A placeholder image

    Special Forest Products are forest resources that are not traditional timber resources. Forest products are used for personal, commercial, and scientific purposes. Examples include: firewood, Christmas trees, native plant transplants, cones, posts and poles, tree boughs, mushrooms, and ornamental cuttings.

  • Central Cascades Wilderness Permits

    A placeholder image

    Central Cascades Wilderness Permits are required for some day-use and all overnight use in the Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, and the Three Sisters Wildernesses from June 15 through October 15. Other wilderness areas require a free, self-issued wilderness permit to be filled out at all trailheads that enter wilderness.

  • Event & Commercial Special Use Permits

    A placeholder image

    A special use permit is required when you ask for special privileges on national forest lands. Examples include gatherings of 75 people or more, operating a business, using the Forest for financial gain, and commercial filming.

  • Recreation Residences

    A placeholder image

    Recreation residences are privately owned homes located on National Forest lands. The land or building lot is not sold by the U.S. Forest Service but is leased by the occupant. Recreation residences are not approved for either commercial use or as a permanent residence.

  • Other Permits

    A placeholder image

    This section includes information on permits for other uses such as electrical easements, minerals, etc.

Please contact the appropriate Forest Service Office for information on permits that are not listed in the sections above.