Passes & Permits

White Horse Lake Campsite

The Forest Service offers many activities such as hiking, biking, skiing, camping, birding, using cabins, driving for pleasure, harvesting edible materials, and gathering firewood. Many of the facilities and services associated with these opportunities are free.  Individuals or groups receive direct benefits from sites that require these expanded fees.

However, some do require fees or permits to help maintain, manage and improve the amenities enjoyed by all. During the Christmas holiday season, we will promote selling Christmas tree permits at that time and there will be information given that will be seen through our Kaibab National Forest homepage and our social media accounts with Facebook and Twitter.

  • Recreation Passes

    photo of the annual rec pass card

    Various types of  "America The Beautiful" passes are available at the USFS store including:

    • Access
    • Annual
    • Every Kid Outdoors
    • Military
    • Senior Annual
    • Senior Lifetime
    • Volunteer

    Also, 4th grade school kids can get a FREE one year pass by going to the Every Kids Outdoors website! These passes are good from the start date of the Every Kid Outdoors release (usually Sept. 1) for one year and are valid for entrance or standard amenity fees at Federal Recreation sites. Not covered is camping, tours, special recreation permits, organized groups or concession operated facilities or activities. Agencies are NOT responsible for misplaced, lost, or stolen cards.

  • Forest Products Permits

    photo of stack of wood in front of a fire

    Permits may be issued for personal, commercial, and traditional use.

    The Kaibab National Forest issues permits for various forest products including:

    • Christmas Trees
    • Firewood Corral Poles Fence Posts/Stays
    • Pine Cones
    • Tree Boughs
    • Wilding Transplants

    In support of this initiative, the Kaibab N.F. is making available a free Christmas tree permit to every interested 4th grader with an Every Kid Outdoors pass or paper voucher. To acquire your free Christmas tree cutting permit get your voucher at Every Kid Outdoors site then go to Recreation.Gov site for the Kaibab showing the details and permit.

    Read more regarding all available Kaibab NF Christmas Tree permits when it gets closer to the holidays.

  • Event/Commercial Permits

    photo of filmmaker with a clapperboard

    Permits are necessary for any activity requiring the forest to be altered in any way. A special-use permit allows you to use the National Forest in certain ways outlined in the permit.

    There are over 100 special-use types, however, the most common special-use permits include:

    • Commercial Photography/Filming
    • Events/Group Use of +75 People (i.e. Gatherings, Weddings, Parties.)
    • Outfitter and Guiding