Maps & Publications
The US Forest Service provides several types of publications and maps to the public. The material is available in many forms: brochures, maps, Recreational Opportunity Guides (ROGs), on such subjects as recreation, sightseeing, wilderness, travel management, and vegetation.
The Forest Service publishes a variety of map products to help you plan your next adventure or enjoy your next visit! Select the "Forest Maps" link above for even more map selections. Also, here is a helpful brochure about different types of maps and how to read them.
- You can purchase National Forest Visitor Maps through the U.S. Geological Survey Store or our partner organization, Discover Your Northwest .
- Several types of mobile compatible maps are available from Avenza Maps.
- US Geological Survey website offers USGS Topographic Maps and a wide variety of maps on-line and for purchase.
In general, forest visitor and other kinds of maps may also be purchased at most Shasta-Trinity National Forest Offices.
Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
The Motor Vehicle Use Map displays National Forest System routes (roads and trails) or areas designated open to motorized travel. The Motor Vehicle Use Map also displays uses allowed by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), and seasonal allowances.
Our publications fall into a few broad categories: administrative, general, recreation and research publications. Select the "Forest Publications" link for even more opportunity guides.
Recreation Opportunity Guides
Biking and OHV:
- Boat Ramps at Shasta Lake
- Boat Rentals at Shasta Lake
- Boating on the Trinity River
- How far to the Water? (Shasta Lake area)
- Iron Canyon Reservoir
- Public Boat Ramps with Loading Platforms (Shasta & Trinity Lakes)
- AH-DI-NA: A Short History (McCloud area)
- Big Bar Campgrounds
- Commercial Services (Weaverville & Trinity Lake area)
- Commercial Services at Shasta Lake
- Group Campgrounds (Trinity Lake area)
- Guide to I-5 Campgrounds
- Iron Canyon Reservoir
- McCloud Area Recreation Guide
- Medicine Lake Highlands Volcanic Area
- Recreation Facilities Guide (Entire forest)
- Recreation Facilities Guide (Hayfork area)
- Recreation Facilities Guide (Trinity Lake area)
- Recreation Opportunities (Mt. Shasta area)
- Shasta Lake Camping
- Upper McCloud River Area
These are just a sampling of the types of handouts that are free at your local forest office.