The USDA National Agroforestry Center in collaboration with partners has developed a variety of tools to assist in the planning and design of agroforestry systems. These resources includes economic calculators, a regional plant selection guide, a GIS-based tool for locating buffers for water quality, buffer design guidelines, and indexes and bibliographies on agroforestry research.
- AgBufferBuilder – A GIS-based tool for water quality
- Conservation Buffers – Design guidelines for multipurpose buffers
- SARE Agroforestry Grants – Index of agroforestry related projects produced under the SARE Grant program
- Riparian Bibliography - An annotated and indexed bibliography of the world literature, including buffer strips and interactions with hyporheic zones and floodplains
- Climate Change Bibliography - An annotated bibliography on agroforestry's role in adaptation and mitigation under climatic variability and change. This document is focused on the period of 1992 to 2017.
- Buffer$ - This Microsoft Excel-based tool can be used to analyze cost benefits of buffers compared to traditional crops.
- NTFP Calculator - This Microsoft Excel-based tool provides general estimates of income potential from harvesting and selling non-timber forest products from a conservation planting.
- Windbreak Economic Model - This Microsoft Excel-based tool can be used to analyze cost benefits of a windbreak that you design. Be sure to enable macros when opening Excel to use this tool.