Beartooth Ranger District
The Beartooth Ranger District is nestled in south central Montana and encompasses the Beartooth and Pryor Mountain Ranges, adjacent to Shoshone National Forest.
The area serves as the northeastern gateway to Yellowstone National Park and is home to the Beartooth Scenic Byway, Red Lodge Ski Resort, the Pryor Mountains and four national recreation trails. The district office is located in Red Lodge, MT, 65 miles from Montana’s largest city, Billings.
Recreational opportunities abound on the Beartooth district including hiking, fishing, hunting, wildlife viewing, horseback riding, camping, downhill skiing and snowboarding, as well as cross-country skiing. A number of camping facilities and picnic areas on the district provide for popular jumping-off spots for day hikes into the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. Please be aware that travelling in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness comes with additional regulations. Please know what is expected of visitors before entering the wilderness.
For more information on recreation on the Beartooth Ranger District, please go here.
- History of the Beartooth Ranger District.
- History of wildfire on the Beartooth Ranger District
- Learn more and volunteer at Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness Foundation
For local conditions contact Beartooth Ranger District at 406-446-2103
Prior to any day or multi-day trek recreationalists should:
- Check local conditions by calling the Beartooth Ranger District
- Understand backcountry travel, leave no trace principles and the district's food storage order
- Understand how to safely travel in bear country.
Most camping and picnic facilities on the district are open Memorial Day – Labor Day, many have the ability to be open earlier and later pending snow levels and conditions any given year.
Main Fork Rock Creek: (Hwy 212): Greenough Lake, Limber Pine, Parkside, M-K, Rattin, Sheridan
West Fork Rock Creek (FS Road 2071): Basin, Cascade, Palisades, Wild Bill Lake Picnic Area
East Rosebud (FS Road 2177): East Rosebud, Jimmy Joe, Sand Dunes Picnic Area
West Rosebud (FS Road 2072): Emerald Lake, Pine Grove
Stillwater Valley: Woodbine, Initial Creek, Old Nye Picnic Area
Pryor Mountains: Sage Creek, Big Ice Cave Picnic Area
Alerts & Warnings
- Closures on Sourdough Canyon and Leverich Canyon Trails Begin Nov.16th
- Pryor Caves Seasonal Area Closure
- Beartooth Ranger District Road and Trail Closures 01-11-82-23-05
- East Rosebud Road 2177 and East Rosebud Trail 15_Closure 01-11-82-23-03
- 01-11-04-23-03 Yellowstone Ranger District Camping Area Closure
- Road 478 Closure (South Fork Madison Road) 01-11-07-23-01
- Woody Creek Road Closure
- Hyalite Target Shooting Closure
- Road #3089, Closure, Sioux Ranger District
- McConnell Fishing Access and Beattie Gulch Area Shooting Closures
- Hyalite Drainage Proposed Permanent Recreational Target Shooting Restriction