Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs)
The Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) is a requirement of the 2005 Final Travel Management Rule and reflects travel management decisions on each Forest. The MVUM displays National Forest System (NFS) routes (roads and trails) or areas designated as open to motorized travel.
The MVUM also displays allowed uses by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles, vehicles less than 50 inches wide and motorcycles), seasonal allowances, distance allowances, and provides information on other travel rules and regulations. Routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground, but will be identified on the MVUM. It will be the public's responsibility to reference the MVUM to stay on designated routes for motor vehicle use. Motor Vehicle Use Maps do not currently show mechanized, non-motorized or over-snow vehicle use.
The MVUM is a black and white map with no topographic features. It is a map for legal designations of where you can travel with various motorized vehicles, but for additional reference it is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Map or other detailed map.
- Absaroka-Beartooth (West)
- Absaroka-Beartooth (East)
- Ashland Ranger District
- Beartooth Front (North)
- Beartooth Front (South)
- Pryor Mountains
- Bridger and Bangtail Mountains
- Crazy Mountains
- Gallatin Range and Northern Madison Range
- Hebgen Lake Ranger District, Henry’s Lake Range, Southern Madison Range
- Sioux Ranger District - Montana Units
- Sioux Ranger District - South Dakota Units
Hardcopy Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available at our Ranger District offices.
Alerts & Warnings
- Regional Orders in Effect
- Woody Creek Road Closure
- Beartooth R.D. Select Rd Closures: Flood Damage
- Yellowstone R.D. Select Road & Site Closures - Flood Damage
- Closure - NFSR #2421 Glacier Lake Road
- Hyalite Drainage Proposed Permanent Recreational Target Shooting Restriction