Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Annual Passes 2017 The Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

Forest Product Permits

Forest productsCollecting products on National Forest System lands for commercial and private use requires a Forest Product Permit. Commonly requested permits are for Christmas Trees and mushrooms.

Special Use Permits

Special Use PermitsA special-use authorization is a legal document such as a permit, term permit, lease, or easement, which allows occupancy, use, rights, or privileges on the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. The authorization is granted for a specific use of the land for a specific period of time.

Campfire Permits

CampfireCampfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside a designated recreation sites. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online at

Fuelwood Permits

fuelwood permit Cutting fuelwood for personal use is allowed with a permit. Here are a few other things you should know about obtaining a permit and cutting fuelwood.


Wilderness Permits

Wilderness permitThe Shasta-Trinity National Forest is home to five different wilderness areas.


Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2018 dates are:

  • January 15, 2018: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
  • February 19, 2018: Presidents Day
  • June 9, 2018: National Get Outdoors Day
  • September 22, 2018National Public Lands Day
  • November 10 - 11, 2018: Veterans Day Weekend