Recreation Passes & Permits

There are three main recreation passes on the Coconino National Forest:

  • America the Beautiful Interagency Pass
  • Red Rock Pass
  • Every Kid Outdoors Fourth Grader Pass
  • Interagency Passes

    annual pass

    Interagency Passes provide access to nearly all of the nation's parks, monuments, historical sites, and other public lands managed by the National Park System, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Forest Service. These passes are honored in Coconino National Forest's Red Rock Ranger District in lieu of the Red Rock Pass.

  • Red Rock Pass

    Red Rock

    The Red Rock Pass is a conservation tool designed to protect, enhance, and maintain awe-inspiring landscapes for the American public today and into the future. If you leave your vehicle while recreating at one of the fee sites, you must purchase a recreation pass. 

  • 4th Graders

    children playing outdoors in cold weather clothing

    This free pass is available to 4th Graders, 4th Grade Teachers, home school and free-choice learners 10 years of age. Good from Sept. to Aug. of your 4th Grade school year. Vouchers may be redeemed in person at our offices. Like the America The Beautiful Pass, the Every Kid Outdoors pass can be used wherever the Red Rock Pass is accepted for parking and entry to Coconino National Forest fee sites.

Other Recreation Passes and Permits

Additional passes and permits
Site Permit Description Link
Fossil Creek Wild and Scenic River Parking permit A parking permit is required during the busy season. Permits must be purchased in advance from
Lake Mary Day-use Fees are required at the day-use picnic sites and boat launches on Upper and Lower Lake Mary during the busy season. These sites are run by a concessionaire. The concessionaire sells an annual pass on-site at their Lake Mary fee locations.
Casner Mountain Motorized Trail #8 Vehicle permit A permit is required to drive large vehicles (62" or wider) on this trail. Permits are available to drive the trail May 16 and October 14.  Call the Red Rock Ranger Station at 928-203-2900 for information.
Soldier Pass Road Motorized trail access A permit system is currently in place to provide members of the general public access to Soldier Pass Motorized Trail. This permit system will allow limited motorized access for up to 12 permits per day for unguided vehicles driven by the general public. Please call 1-877-444-6777 or visit for a permit.


Additional Information about Recreation Fees

The Coconino National Forest waives recreation fees at most-day use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. More information.

For events such as weddings, family reunions, and commercial activities, see Event/Commercial Permits.