Passes & Permits

The Forest Service manages the national forests for a number of multiple uses, including recreation, timber, wilderness, minerals, water, grazing, fish and wildlife. Our job is to help you share and enjoy the forest, while conserving the environment for generations to come. To help us meet this goal, certain activities, such as firewood collection, require that you have a permit, while others, such as camping, benefit from passes.

Hiawatha National Forest offers recreation passes and/or fuelwood/firewood permits to visitors by appointment.

  • Recreation Passes

    group of four people on a trail posing for a photo

    Learn about recreation passes including day, annual and lifetime recreation passes, the cost and how to purchase one. Low-cost and free passes for fourth graders, people living with disabilities, senior citizens, and military.

  • Forest Products

    rustic wood piled up

    Information about fuelwood/firewood permits, along with details about plant collection, gathering forest items, minerals, holiday greens for decorations and holiday tree permits.

  • Event/Commercial

    building with colorful kayaks leaning against it with a rental sign

    Obtain a non-commercial or commercial permit for weddings, recreation events (e.g. races, rallies, contests, adventure games, concerts etc.) commercial photography, filming, sound recording, outfitting and guides, and road use permits across NFS land to access private property.

  • Other Permits

    A placeholder image

    Information on snowplowing, water transmission, road and utility right-of-ways, research, and other permits.

Frequently Asked Questions