Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue. On-going operational updates will be posted here (https://www.fs.fed.us/shutdown) as we are able to provide them.


Passes & Permits

Click on the links in the left hand column to go to each of these categories:

Recreation passes and permits

  • In Washington and Oregon some national forest recreation sites require a day use fee.  This section includes information about where fees are charged and which passes may be used to cover these fees.

Forest products permits

  • Edible material, Decorative material, Christmas trees, Plants, and Firewood information.

Events and Commercial Permits

  • A Special Use Authorization is a permit that grants rights or privileges of occupancy and use subject to specified terms and conditions on National Forest land.

  • Special use permits are required for facilities, services and events on the forest.  Gatherings with more than 74 people and are non-commercial in nature must also be permitted.

  • Special uses can include recreation residence (summer homes), recreation events, outfitter guides, utility lines, communication facilities and many other uses.

Other Permits

Wilderness Permits

  • Visitors to the Mt. Hood Wilderness and the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness must have a completed wilderness permit in their possession during their stay in these areas from May 15 through October 15.
  • Climbers must have a wilderness permit in their possession year-round when on the south side climbing route of Mt. Hood. Permits are available at the Wy'East Timberline Day Lodge.
  • Permits are free and self-issued at trailheads.

Please contact the appropriate Ranger District Office for permit information not listed.