OHV Riding & Camping

Choose from the following to find a site: several jeeps traveling together on off road route


Please help keep the Tahoe National Forest healthy, productive and beautiful.

Off-Highway Vehicle enthusiasts have been using the Tahoe National Forest in uncharacteristically high numbers. Unfortunately, resource damage may occur. Please remember the following:

  • Routes free from snow may be passable in the morning but thaw as the day progresses. You will get stuck and/or damage your public roads for future use.
  • Not all closed routes are blocked with gates or posted with ‘closed’ signs. Please consult the Motor Vehicle Use map to learn more about seasonal operation dates. 
  • Do not operate Motorized Vehicles outside of established routes. The reckless riding of a few can cause resource damage that lasts for years and leads to further restrictions for all riders.

The U.S. Forest Service has an updated Tahoe National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map. The Motor Vehicle Use Maps display legal opportunities for all motorized use including single track riding and ATV/UTV operation. The Map also provides seasonal operational dates for all Tahoe National Forest routes, trails, and roads. A few highlights and reminders:

  • The updated Motor Vehicle Use Maps can be downloaded and opened with applications such as Avenza which can geo-locate users in the field utilizing smartphones or other devices. No cell coverage needed.
  • Some specific roads are managed as groomed over-snow routes in the winter.
  • The Burlington and Sugar Pine OHV trail systems are now being managed under a new, ‘pilot’ wet weather open/closed status as opposed to fixed operational dates. To learn more about this pilot program and the current status call 530-288-3231 ext. 243 (Burlington OHV) or 530-367-2224 ext. 228 (Sugar Pine).
  • The 2020 MVUMs have better shading and a few more references on the maps to make them a little easier to read and orient yourself than the 2013 versions.
  • The MVUMs are the legal designation of where, when and with what types of motor vehicles are allowed on the Tahoe NF (36CFR261.13). 
  • Onsite trail, road or closed signs are helpful information but are not the basis of the legal determination if a motor vehicle is allowed on the trail, road or in the area.  The MVUMs are, so it is incumbent that the public use the MVUMs to know where and when they can drive/ride their motor vehicle on the Forest.
  • New – For some specific roads (07 Road, 18 Road, 93 Road, 96 Road) that are also managed as groomed snowmobile trails in the winter, Highway legal wheeled vehicles are allowed except when they are being managed as a snow trail.  

Please Note - for Open/Closed status on Tahoe National Forest Off-highway recreation areas, please call the appropriate Ranger District to verify the current status.

  • Yuba River Ranger District office in Camptonville - (530) 478-6253, x243.
  • American River Ranger District office in Foresthill - (530)-478-6254 x228.
  • Sierraville Ranger District in Sierraville, - (530) 994-3401​.
  • Truckee Ranger District in Truckee, - (530) 536-0417​.
  • To find out if wheeled vehicles are restricted during winter on the 07 call 530-994-3401
  • To find out if wheeled vehicles are restricted during winter on the 18 or 93 call 530-288-3231 ext. 243
  • To find out if wheeled vehicles are restricted during winter on the 96 call 530-367-2224 ext. 228

Recreation Areas

Recreation Activities