Passes & Permits

A group on horseback travel into the wilderness with a hired guide.

The Gila National Forest manages resources to meet sustainable resource management objectives. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the forest land and resource management plans outlined in the Forest Plan. In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land. Additionally, passes assist in funding certain management projects.

Do you need a permit?  Maybe?

Before you plan an activity on the forest, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass. Common activities that will need these include: wood cutting, commercial mushroom picking (personal use does not require a permit), outfitter & guiding, filming, photography, family reunions, weddings, research, and cutting a Christmas tree.

Recreation Passes & Permits include an "Interagency" pass called  the America the Beautiful National Parks & Federal Recreational Lands Pass.

Forest Products Permits include permits to gather fire wood, permits to gather live plants, edible material and trees, permits to gather rocks, stones, gravel and other minerals, and to cut Christmas Trees.

Event/Commercial Permits: "Outfitter guides" and any function where the public is invited or there is a fee charged is a "commercial event". Non-commercial events would include large gatherings (such as weddings and family reunions). Other commercial events include filming, photography, and organizational camps.

Other Permits: Research Permits and for other items such as electrical easements, etc. Please contact the appropriate ranger district for information on other permits not listed.