Welcome to the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest!
Are you interested in the outdoors?
Would you like to help in the management of this great forest?
Become a Forest Service volunteer.
There's a wide range of interesting and educational opportunities available for you to enjoy. Volunteers do everything from constructing and maintaining trails to serving as campground hosts, wilderness rangers, research assistants, clerks, writers, and photographers.
Although you will not receive pay for your work as a volunteer, there are other benefits. Many people are happy to be able to 'give back' something to the lands they've enjoyed using over the years. Others look upon the work as a chance to get career-related work experience or take a break from their regular routines. The hours are flexible, too. In some cases, volunteers can be compensated for some out-of-pocket expenses such as travel, food, and lodging.
There is no minimum age for volunteering, so whole families can participate. However, a volunteer under 18 needs written consent from a parent or guardian. Volunteers are not considered federal employees, but they do receive legal protection as well as insurance for work-related injuries.
Come join us! Being a Forest Service volunteer just might be one of the most memorable experiences you'll ever have.
Take a look at the volunteer opportunities at the ranger districts below, or visit the national Forest Service Volunteer website.
Opportunities on the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest
Alerts & Warnings
- Fireworks and Exploding Targets Prohibited on National Forests
- Twisp Area: Road #4400-45 and Dispersed Recreation Area Closure
- Twisp Area: Louis Lake Trail Bridge Closed
- Winthrop Area: Cub Creek 2 Fire Area Closure
- Twisp Area: Road 4415-030 Closure
- Mazama-Winthrop-Twisp Area: Cedar Creek Fire Area Closure
- Lake Wenatchee Area: Road #6304 Bridge Closure
- Entiat - Lake Wenatchee Area: Upper Mad River Seasonal Trail Closure
- Cle Elum Area: French Cabin Creek Bridge Closure
- Leavenworth Area: Construction Delays on Snow Lakes Trail
- Interactive Area Closures Map
- Ellensburg Area: Rider's Camp Closed for 2022
- Naches Area: Boulder Cave Trail / Day Use Site: Open
- Forest Office Access Restricted
- Target Shooting Info