Passes & Permits

Recreation Passes & Permits

Annual Passes 2017 The Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

Forest Product Permits

This photograph shows two images, one of firewood being chopped and one of a mushroom on the ground.Collecting products on National Forest System lands for commercial and private use requires a Forest Product Permit. Commonly requested permits are for fuelwood, Christmas Trees and mushrooms.

Special Use Permits

Special Use PermitsA special-use authorization is a legal document such as a permit, term permit, lease, or easement, which allows occupancy, use, rights, or privileges on the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. The authorization is granted for a specific use of the land for a specific period of time.

Campfire Permits

CampfireCampfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside a designated recreation sites. These are free and are available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online at Check for fire restrictions before you go.

Wilderness Permits

Wilderness permitThe Shasta-Trinity National Forest is home to five different wilderness areas. Two of these require wilderness permits and all of them require a California Campfire Permit for use of stoves. Campfires are only allowed in some areas and campfire restrictions may be in place during summer/fall months in all areas. 


Fee-Free Days

The Forest Service waives recreation fees at most day-use sites on lands managed by the agency. Participation by concession-operated sites may vary. The 2021 dates are:


Christmas Tree Permits

Christmas Tree Permit Information

Fuelwood Permit Information

Cutting fuelwood for personal use is allowed with a permit. Here are a few other things you should know about obtaining a permit and cutting fuelwood.


Forest Products Permits

Mushroom Permits

Mushrooms are among many "special forest products." To ensure a continuing supply of special forest products, the Forest Service works to create uniform harvesting regulations.