OHV Riding & Camping

Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) recreation, including ATV and motorcycle use, is just one of the many uses allowed on National Forest lands. It is your responsibility to know and abide by regulations relating to motor vehicle travel. Federal law prohibits operation of any mechanical or motorized equipment within the boundaries of a Wilderness or other special closure areas. The Gila National Forest has completely implemented their Travel Management Plan on all six ranger districts. Click on Motor Vehicle Use Maps for free MVUMs that can be downloaded to Avenza. If you need free hard copies, please visit any of our six ranger districts.  

State law requires registration of all motor vehicles before being operated on public lands, including out-of-state visitors. For information regarding registration of OHVs in New Mexico, call 1-800-545-2070 or view on-line at New Mexico's Department of Game & Fish OHV information.

Recreation Areas

Recreation Activities