Passes & Permits

The Forest Service manages lands to meet the demand for a variety of uses that benefit the public and protect the resources for future generations. A special use permit, or authorization, and other permits are tools to regulate use in a way that supports national policy and federal laws.

Each year, the Forest Service receives thousands of individual and business applications to use National Forest System lands for activities such as water transmission, agriculture, outfitting and guiding, recreation, group gatherings, research, photography, weddings, road building, and granting road and utility rights-of-ways. The Forest Service carefully reviews each application to determine how the request affects the public's use of the land. Normally, land is not made available if the overall needs of the individual or business can be met on non-federal lands.

For general inquiries or if your situation does not fall into one of the below categories, please contact us.

  • Recreation Passes

    A placeholder image

    Some developed recreation sites or trailheads on the forest require a day-use fee. Find out where fees are charged, which passes are accepted and buy a pass online.

  • Forest Product Permits

    A placeholder image

    Personal and/or Commercial Use permits are required in order to gather many special forest products such as: edible or decorative material, Christmas trees, firewood, mushrooms, and post and poles.

  • Events & Weddings

    A placeholder image

    Group events, gatherings, weddings, elopements, and other events may require a permit depending on group size, location, and more.

  • Filming & Photography

    A placeholder image

    Filming and photography in the Forest may require a permit.

  • Research Permits

    A placeholder image

    In addition to offering world class recreation, the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests and Pawnee National Grassland provide opportunities for scientific research.

  • Outfitters & Guides

    A placeholder image

    Outfitters and Guides are our partners in providing thousands of satisfied customers with unique recreational experiences they might not otherwise have the opportunity or ability to enjoy. Guided experiences range from equestrian trail rides and hunting trips to whitewater kayaking and rafting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, climbing, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, auto touring and bird watching, to name a few.

  • Other Special Uses

    A placeholder image

    Permits for boat docks, easements, roads, minerals, mining, and recreation residences.