Passes & Permits

The Dakota Prairie Grasslands manage resources to meet sustainable resource management objectives. Management protects natural resource values, public health and safety, and is consistent with the resource management plans outlined in the Grassland Plan. In order to meet these objectives, permits may be required for the occupancy and use of Forest Service land. Additionally, passes provide some funding for certain management projects.

Before you plan an activity on the Grasslands, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass. Common activities you need a permit for include wood cutting, commercial mushroom picking (personal use does not require a permit), outfitter & guiding, filming, photography, family reunions, weddings, and research . Please contact a Ranger District Office for forest permits or passes and up to date information.