Passes & Permits

Interagency Passes

All passes are currently available online at

An Interagency Annual Pass may be your best value if you plan to visit  many different federal lands across the nation that include lands managed by other federal agencies. You may also qualify for the Interagency Senior passes or Interagency Access Pass. Below is a list of all the available Interagency Passes and all relevant information. Some passes require purchase while others are free.

Important information for the Sawtooth National Forest:

On the Sawtooth National Recreation Area the concessionaire (private contractor) honors all interagency Senior and Access passes. This entitles campers to a 50% discount for single family sites only. No other discounts are offered, i.e day use fees are not discounted.

Resource Permits

Before you plan an activity on the Forest, please be sure to check whether or not you need a permit or pass. Common activities that that may require a permit include wood cutting, mushroom picking, rock collecting, cutting a Christmas tree, special-uses, post and pole, ornamental, and accessing the Sawtooth Wilderness Area.

  • Interagency Pass

    4th Grade pass 2

    Find Interagency Annual Pass, Lifetime Senior Pass, Annual Pass, Military Pass, Access Pass, Every Kid Outdoors Pass, and Volunteer Passes here.

  • Wilderness Permits

    Sawtooth wilderness sign

    The Sawtooth Wilderness requires a permit. Please call ahead for groups of 8-12 or self issue if less than 8. Find out more about the rules and regulations here.

  • Firewood Permits

    Chainsaw with firewood

    Personal Use Firewood Permits can be purchased at any Sawtooth National Forest Office or participating vendors.

  • Christmas Tree Permits

    christmas tree

    Christmas Tree Permits can be purchased at Sawtooth National Forest offices, participating vendors, and online at click on link below.

  • Outfitter & Guide Permits

    people rafting

    Sawtooth NRA Temporary Outfitter and Guide Permit Process.

  • Recreation Events

    mountains and lake in the background events in the front

    A permits is required for any commercial activity including events with over 75 people, races, etc. 

  • Commercial Filming/Still Photography Permit

    camera in hands

    Commercial Filming and Still Photography on the Sawtooth National Forest requires a permit. Find rules, regulations and how to apply.

  • Special Use Permits

    sawtooth nra sign

    A special-use authorization is a legal document such as a permit, term permit, lease, or easement, which allows occupancy, use, rights, or privileges of NFS land. The authorization is granted for a specific use of the land for a specific period of time.