Passes & Permits

Fuelwood Permit

FuelwoodFuelwood permits may be purchased at the Modoc Forest Headquarters and Ranger District offices with photo identification.

Obsidian Permits

Obsidian PermitRecreational miners are asked to obtain permits at the Modoc Forest Headquarters (225 W. 8th St.) in Alturas, CA Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. 

Recreation & Passes Permits

Annual PassThe Interagency Passes are honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

Campfire Permits

CampfireCampfire Permits are required for the use of campfires, charcoal fires or portable gas stoves outside of designated recreation sites. These are free and available at all Forest Service, BLM, or CAL FIRE offices, or online at

Event/Commercial Permit

Film permit Event/Commercial Permits are required for events where more than 75 people will gather or where a fee is charged the participants or spectators.

Christmas Tree Permit

Christmas Tree permitYou can cut your own Christmas tree on the Modoc National Forest by purchasing a permit. The $10.00 permits are available at Modoc National Forest headquarters in Alturas and District offices in Adin, Cedarville and Tulelake.