Forest Products Permits

Fuelwood Cutting Permit


Forest Service Sign indicating the entrance to a firewood cutting area.Permits for collecting fuelwood are available from any Modoc National Forest Office in person or by mail. Rules and regulations are printed on the permit. For additional information or for a mail in permit request, visit our fuelwood pages.



Obsidian Permits


Obsidian is of volcanic origin and looks like black glassPermits to collect obsidian on the Modoc National Forest are available at the Supervisor's Office in Alturas, the Warner Mountain Ranger District Office in Cedarville or the Big Valley Ranger District in Adin. Permits for personal use are free. A minimum fee is required for commercial collecting. Obsidian collecting is permitted only on the Warner Mountain Ranger District in designated areas. Collecting is not permitted anywhere in the Medicine Highlands.  For permits, rules and information contact the nearest District Office.

Note: The removal of artifacts or disturbance of a prehistoric archaeological site is a violation of federal law and can carry significant penalties.  Many people are familiar with flakes and arrowheads but, obsidian rocks stacked on top of each other can also be an artifact and must be protected.


Christmas Tree Permits

A cartoon of a man and his daughter carrying a Christmas tree over his shoulder.You can cut your own Christmas tree on the Modoc National Forest by purchasing a permit. Christmas tree permits are $10 each and usually go on sale just before Thanksgiving. 

You must have your permit with you when cutting the tree, and you must present it to any Peace Officer or Forest Officer upon request. Sign your permit and attach it around the trunk of the tree inbetween the limbs, sealing the ends of permit so it must be broken when removed. The permit must be signed and secured on the tree at all times when transporting.

For more information on purchasing permits, cutting trees and forest regulations see our Christmas tree permit page.


Mushroom Permits

Other than Matsutake mushrooms (read below for Matsutake information), mushrooms may be collected for personal use without a permit. Mushrooms that are commonly found on the forest are morel, shaggy mane and bolite.

Matsutake mushrooms may be collected only on a commercial permit.  Matsutake season usually runs from early September through early November.  Permits may be purchased for 5 days, 7 days, 30 days or the full season.  For Matsutake permit prices, rules and exact collection dates contact the nearest District Office.

Permits must be purchased in person and identification is required.


Posts and Poles Permits

Permits and tags for lodgepole or Juniper posts or poles are available at all forest offices.  Special rules apply and that are different  from fuelwood permits.  A minimum fee is charged. Large quantities of posts or poles for resale require a commercial permit.  For permits, rules and information contact the District Office nearest you.


Other Forest Products

If you wish to collect other Forest Products such as  berries, pine nuts, grasses, boughs, live plants, pinecones, cinders, or slate, please call the District Office for the area in which you plan to collect for information about these permits.