Maps & Publications
Maps are available in a variety of formats and for different devices. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Interactive Visitors Map
Interactive Visitor Map shows recreation areas and roads on all national forests. The map is now available for mobile download, look for "Visitor Map: Map of Forest Service Lands". Interactive Visitor Map
Hiawatha National Forest Visitors Map
Digital copies of the current Forest Visitor map can be purchased through Avenza for $4.99:
Michigan Department of Transportation
Michigan Department of Transportation interactive map.
Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
National Forests and National Grasslands
Guide to your National Forests and Grasslands shows all National Forests and Grasslands across the country. Forest Service District Maps
Forest and Vicinity Map
Hiawatha National Forest vicinity map for reference.
Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM)
Digital pdf files of the current Hiawatha NF MVUM maps are available for free download here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hiawatha/maps-pubs/?cid=FSEM_033530
Avenza Maps® is a mobile map app that allows you to download maps for offline use on iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, use your device’s built-in GPS to track your location on any map, plot locations and photos, measure distance and area, and more. If you have the Avenza App on your digital device, you can downlad the Hiawatha's MVUM maps for use on Avenza.
- Hiawatha NF Munising (Navigating away from USFS website)
- Hiawatha NF Rapid River (Navigating away from USFS website)
- Hiawatha NF St Ignace (Navigating away from USFS website)
- Hiawatha NF Sault Ste Marie (Navigating away from USFS website)
For more information about motor vehicle maps of the Hiawatha National Forest, visit our MVUM page.
- East Zone OHV Routes Map - available through Chippewa Sportsmen's Off Road Vehicle Association
North Country Scenic Trail
- North Country National Scenic Trail - available through North Country Trail Association
Maps for Popular Activities
Brochures and Publications
- Volume 8, Issue 2 - August 2016
- Volume 8, Issue 1 - April 2016
- Volume 7, Issue 1 - March 2015
- Volume 6, Issue 1 - May 2012
- Volume 4, Issue 1 - January 2010
- Volume 3, Issue 1 - January 2009
- Volume 2, Issue 4 - October 2008
- Volume 2, Issue 3 - July 2008
- Volume 2, Issue 2 - April 2008
- Volume 2, Issue 1 - January 2008
- Volume 1, Issue 2 - September 2007
- Volume 1, Issue 1 - August 2007
Depending on its age class, aspen stands provide habitat for a variety of species. Check out these maps to learn where aspen age classes exist on the ground.
The motor vehicle use maps have been prepared and issued under 36 CFR 212.56, and identify those roads, trails, and areas designated for motor vehicle use.
Visitors to the Hiawatha National Forest will find a wide variety of roads and trails designated open for motorized use. In fact, over 2000 miles of Forest Road are open for motorized use. Read on for more details about motorized recreation opportunities on your Great Lakes National Forest.