Interagency Wildland Fire Chemicals Policy and Guidance
Nationwide Aerial Application of Fire Retardant on National Forest System Lands
In 2011 the FS signed a Record of Decision implementing direction for the Nationwide Aerial Application of Fire Retardant. In 2020 the FS reviewed new information, published in the 2020 Supplemental Information Report. That report recommended modification of the proposed action that was selected in 2011 and implemented in 2012, and preparation of a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement. The draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement has been completed and is available below for review.
Additional Project Documents
- Aerial Fire Retardant NOAA Fisheries Biological Assessment 2021
- Aerial Fire Retardant NOAA Fisheries Biological Opinion 2022
- Aerial Fire Retardant FWS Biological Assessment 2021
- Aerial Retardant Use and Fire Information Summary, 2012 - 2019 (revised 2020)
Intrusion Maps (NOAA Fisheries Biological Assessment Appendix C and FWS Biological Assessment Appendix B)
- Region 1
- Region 2
- Region 3
- Region 4
- Region 4 Boise National Forest Enlargement
- Region 5 North
- Region 5 Central
- Region 5 South
- Region 5 Mendocino National Forest Enlargement
- Region 6
- Region 8
- Region 9
Instructions for Completing Avoidance Area Maps (AFRAA) a SharePoint site.
Interagency Wildland Fire Chemicals Reporting Tools and Forms
The Retardant Intrusion Reporting Tool is now ready to use. To request access to the database, send an email to Sarah Saunders, Laura Conway, and Shirley Zylstra. After you receive your invitation email, follow the instructions in the Guest Invitation Instruction document.
Guest Invitation Instructions for Retardant Intrusion Database
The spill calculator executable file is relatively large and the program must unpack and load temporary files every time the program runs. the first time the program opens it may take a minute or two to load so please be patient.
To download the spill calculator
- Copy this URL ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/il/urbana/pjackson/Software/
- Paste it into Windows file explorer.
- Open your file explorer, paste the link in the top left box on the bar below File, Home, Share, and View.
- Click enter. The “USFS_FRMC_v1.0.2.zip” folder should appear on the screen.
- Copy the zip folder to a location on your computer where you can find it.
- To extract the files, double click on the .zip file.
- PDF Forms (for field use)
Aerial Fire Retardant Use on National Forest System Lands
Previous years – see Appendix C, Final Environmental Impact Statement
- Webinar: Aerial Fire Retardant, The Forest Service and You: Fire Operations Resource Advisors and Managing for ESA Species - May 2017