In November of 1990, Newberry National Volcanic Monument was created within the boundaries of Deschutes National Forest. Managed by the U.S. Forest Service, this monument provides a unique opportunity to view the Lava Lands of central Oregon. Newberry National Volcanic National Monument includes 54,000+ acres of lakes, lava flows, and spectacular geologic features in central Oregon. The highest point within the Monument is the summit Paulina Peak (7,985 ft.), showcasing views of the Cascades, Newberry Caldera and across the High Desert.
Although commonly referred to as Newberry Crater, the "crater" is in fact a caldera formed when the overlying rocks collapse when a magma chamber is emptied. The caldera stretches across 17 square miles in the heart of the volcano. The 1,200 square mile volcano (about the size of Rhode Island) remains very active to this day. Newberry is both seismically and geothermally active. Geologists believe the caldera sits over a shallow magma body only 2 to 5 kilometers deep. Visitors see numerous cinder cones and vents (over 400 throughout the area), miles of basalt flows, as well as rhyolite flows of obsidian.
The best local information, to include operating hours, is found at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/deschutes/recreation/recarea/?recid=38394
- Volcano type: shield-shaped composite
- Area: 1,200 square miles—about the size of Rhode Island
- Nearby Towns: Bend, Sunriver, LaPine, and Redmond Population on or near Newberry lavas: about 200,000
- Caldera area: 17 square miles
- Elevation: 7,984 feet above sea level— Paulina Peak summit
- Height above Bend: About 4,000 feet
- Last eruption: about 1,300 years ago—Big Obsidian Flow
- Oldest lavas: about 400,000 years Number of volcanic cones and vents: more than 400
- Estimated total volume: 120 cubic miles (mi3 ) (for example, South Sister is 5 mi3 and Mount St. Helens is 6 mi3 )
- Volume of Lava Butte cone and flow: Less than 1 cubic mile
Paulina Visitor Center is staffed to offer Monument information/orientation. A Discover Your Northwest bookstore is operated inside the historic building.