Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Recreation Fees and Passes

If you’re ready to recreate on your national forests and grasslands we can help you determine whether the activity you want to do requires a recreation fee and what types of passes are available.

Where Are You Going?

First, determine whether or not the site you plan to visit requires a fee. You can navigate to the site you plan to visit using the interactive visitor map. The map will help you determine where you want to go and will lead to you the Forest website, which will tell you whether or not the site has a fee.  If you are uncertain, you should contact the national forest you plan to visit for more information. 

Which Pass Do I Need? 

American the Beautiful; The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, Annual Pass To make the best choice on which pass to purchase, you need to know a bit about  your recreation plans for the next year. Your best value may be a single-day pass. Or if you’re a frequent visitor to one or more sites, a multi-day pass or annual pass that covers a forest or region may be the best buy. Forest Service regions offer more ‘localized’ passes and you can find information about those on the respective forest and grassland  websites. 

An Interagency Annual Pass may be your best value if you plan to visit  many different federal lands across the nation that include lands managed by other federal agencies. You may also qualify for the Interagency Senior passes or Interagency Access Pass. Below is a list of all the available Interagency Passes.

The Every Kid in a Park Pass gives fourth graders free access to 2,000-plus federal land and water sites. More detailed information about the pass is available on the kid-friendly Every Kid site

Click on each to learn who qualifies for one and what they cover.