Our Services

Program Design: Trainings, Internships, Meetings & Study Tours, Orientations

We assist with everything from designing programs to navigating the numerous regulations affecting international visitor participation in in USFS and USDA sponsored programs. We can provide guidance on visa types, payments and good practices for hosting.  

J-1 Visas Sponsorship

International Programs can assist with understanding visa classifications and what might be most appropriate given the profile of the prospective visitor, proposed program activities and sources of funds. We can also share information about official invitations, security clearances, visa application processes and required supporting documents. If a J-1 visa is required, International Programs will work with you to issue form DS-2019: Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status to your invited visitor. This form allows the visitor to apply for a J-1 visa from their local US Embassy or Consulate.

Above all, it is important to know which visa a visitor needs for the proposed activity and to allow sufficient time for the visa application process.  As the application process can take as long as 3-4 months, much of the preparation might begin as early as 3-6 months prior to the program or event. To learn more about J-1 visas and support services for international visitors and hosts, please contact an International Visitor Program Specialist as early as possible.  

For more information, please go to: 

You can also explore the How to Apply and Forms sections on this website where you will find some helpful planning tools.

Health Insurance

We offer special health and medical evacuation insurance plans and facilitate enrollment and payment of premiums. These plans meet and exceed all the State Department coverage requirements for J-1 visa holders.

Debit Cards

We can provide international visitors with debit cards, which allow immediate access to funds provided for maintenance allowances and authorized reimbursements.

J-1 Program Support, Monitoring and Reporting

As an official J-1 Exchange Visitor Program sponsor, we maintain records and data about J-1 visa holders in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and monitor exchange visitor programs to ensure compliance with program regulations.  To collect information about programs, visitors and hosts are required to submit progress and departure reports.  We also communicate as necessary with the US Departments of State and Homeland Security.  On an annual basis, we report all J-1 exchange visitor activities to the US Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

International Programs monitors international collaboration and the activities and locations of international visitors on US Forest Service facilities.  This is required for all international visitors who receive official letters of invitation from the US Forest Service, whether they come on B-1 or J-1 visas. We also provide ongoing support and assistance with immigration, personal adjustment and administrative matters related to international visitor program activities, dates and changes.
Please see the section on Program Regulations for more information on required monitoring and reporting associated with the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program.