How the Forest Stewardship Program Works
The Forest Stewardship Program (FSP) of the U.S. Forest Service works in partnership with state forestry agencies, cooperative extension, and conservation districts to connect private landowners with the information and tools they need to manage their forests and woodlands. Actively managed forests provide timber, fuel wood, wildlife habitat, watershed protection, recreational opportunities, and many other benefits. They also benefit adjacent National Forest System lands by creating healthier, more resilient landscapes overall.
What is a Forest Stewardship Plan?
FSP also offers resources to help landowners develop a forest management plan (also known as a Forest Stewardship Plan). As a private landowner, you may be concerned about keeping your land productive and healthy now and into the future. You may want to increase its economic value while protecting water and air quality, wildlife habitat, and natural beauty. You can accomplish all these objectives by using a Forest Stewardship Plan to identify your goals for your land and the management activities needed to meet them.
Resources for Landowners
- My Land Plan
- Land Conservation Assistance Network
- Estate Planning for Forest Landowners: What will become
of Your Timberland?
Resources for Practitioners
- Planning for Forest Stewardship: A Desk Guide
- Forest Stewardship Program Plan Elements Guide
- Landscape Stewardship Guide
- From Ideas to Action: A Guide to Funding and Authorities
for Collaborative Forestry
Regulations and Policies
- National Program Standards and Guidelines - Revised 12/2022 (.PDF, 714KB)
- Cooperative Forestry Assistance Act (.PDF, 105KB)
- Forest Stewardship Program Strategic Plan
- Forest Service Budget and Performance
- Forest Service Strategic Plan
- ForestHer NC Strives to Empower Women
- A living memorial to mitigate wildfire risk
- Sustaining the Forests of the Mississippi Headwaters
- Forest Stewardship Keeps Georgia
Contact a Forest Stewardship Program Manager…
Contact your State Coordinator…
Forest Stewardship Program Manager